T-Shirts for the group (possible idea?)

Page 1 of 3
As I was sitting upon the throne this morning (the white one with the water in it ) a stray thought passed into my head. Since it was lonley there in my head I have decided to pass it along to the group so I cound get back to my usual empty headed state. It seem this group could use some help in achieving togetherness and I know just the thing. We should all have matching T-shirts, the front would have a picture of a wood vise with the logo "VISE SQUAD " the back could have "REC. WOODWORKING". Any thoughts, any takers, we could probably get 'em cheap if we order enough copies. Larry
--
I am a nobody, and no body is perfect therefore I am perfect

Uh, which side of the planet is that? Vise is spelled vise no matter where you live.
If you spelled it "vice" you'd have a pretty bad problem that might need intervention, depending on the nature of your addiction.
Things like miter and mitre and meter and metre are variations of spelling, but vise and vice are completely different words.
Mike

in
the
Larry

Australia here, but the same holds true for the UK.

Nope.
spelling,
No, they are variations of the same word.

According to the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (The most authoratative dictionary of the English language, second only to the full version which is so large and expensive few individuals can either afford or house it ) since 1500 the word "vice" has been used to describe "A tool comprised of two jaws opening and closing by means of a screw, which firmly grip a piece of work and hold in position while it is being operated upon; used esp[ecially] by workers in metal and carpenters.
The word "vise" is given as a US variant.
Mekon

Well, ok, I suppose that's possible, but here's what I get when I look in my Webster's New World (I'm sure you'll get a kick out of that hehe) Dictionary:
(1st definitions only)
Vise: a device, usually fastened to a workbench, consisting of two jaws opened and closed by a screw, lever, etc. and used for holding firmly an object being worked on.
Vice: an evil or wicked action, habit, or characteristic, depravity or corruption, esp. prostitution.
So, you tell me which one applies more hehehe
<VBG>

is
since
jaws

Well that does it then instead of VISE SQUAD it will have to have WOODWORKING VICE.
Roy
Roy responds:

How 'bout VISE VICE SQUAD
Charlie Self
"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." George W. Bush
says...

Or "woodworking is a vice" :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Front: "Woodwrecker" Back: "rec.Woodwork"
Any cartoonists in the group? How about a wild Rube Goldberg apparatus/ (wooden) with a cartoonish guy either trapped inside or standing next to it with a taped thumb, arm in a sling, and a goofy grin.
DanD
On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:37:54 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

Webster's is barely worthy of the name dictionary. He began by recording the use of America rather than England (which is quite reasonable), but he also wasn't above "improving" spellings in some personal crusade to simplify spelling.

Andy, I think your views are coloured by where you live. Websters works just fine in the US.
Wes