T-shaped miter gauge bar - source needed

Anyone know of a source for a T-shaped bar that fits the miter slot of a DeWalt TS? I checked Lee Valley and Woodcraft websites with no luck. Or, do I have to make it? Would UHMW be a good stock for that?

Also, while Norm seems to use a hard wood strip for his TS jigs that ride in the miter slot, any comments on that -- good, bad, alternatives (when a T-shape is not needed)?

Reply to
Igor

In most cases, it is a standard 3/4" by 3/8" bar, but, with a washer on the end that is slightly wider, to run in the slots. I have to say, though, that I would not worry about it all that much. I have used both styles of saw, and, at least for me, having the "T" slot does not make my life any easier. Actually, since I am WAY to programmed to simply lift the miter gauge off the table, it makes it a bit harder, as I have to remember to slide it out the end. As for UHMW, I suspect not, unless we are talking about a piece of plastic that is well supported on the bottom of the jig with a number of screws. Making a miter jig out of it would not be a happy thing, I think.

I have several jigs I have been using for years that I made with hard maple sliders. They are just as smooth now as they were when I built them. Now, I suspect that if I were making a finger joint jig that would be used in production day in and day out, I would go ahead and use steel. However, for lighter use, hardwoods work fine. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt