Symetrical Layout - Stops and Jigs

So I'm making the fourth in a series of bonsai display tables - mainly loose tenon M&T joints, the mortises in side and end grain being done with a Dewalt 621 plunge router, Onsrud upcut spiral bit and the TREND Mortise & Tenon Jig. Wasn't until this fourth one that it occured to me to do the joint layout symetrically - center line and left and right ends equidistant from the edges of the stock. Set the Left/Right stops, align the jig to the center line of the stock and forget about which face should face you or which side should be on the left. The mortises come out identical - no tweeking necessary. Nice to have Glenn Drake's Tite-Mark to scribe the layout lines. Once the first mortise is done it's easy to make up a strip or two of loose tenon stock and cut off what's needed.

Wish I'd had this flash of insight when making the first three tables. Would've eliminated the need to make custom loose tenons for some of the joints that were cut with the reference face and/or reference edge back asswards.

Now if I'd consistently use the triangle parts marking system I may avoid making two front left table legs or the "good face" of an apron ending up on the inside. Maybe if I labeled the X, Y and Z axis . . . On second thought, CW might correct my mislabeling so I'll skip that.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Not if you get it right. :)