SWMBO honesty

SWMBO got tired of my nagging a few months ago and let me spend some of the Uncle Sam return on tools. I only got one 'new' power tool as the others were major upgrade replacements or ancillary type stuff. Anyways, she was happy with my first project, and anxious for more. As we watched TV or looked at furniture catalogs she wanted me to build this or that and I said, "Well, I'd need a power planer for that". She asks how much and then we move on to some other piece.

Me: "The wood for that would be very expensive from the borg or really anywhere since I have to have it cut and planed to a certain thickness".

SWMBO: "Why"

Me: "Well, hon... Most WWers buy stuff in block-like chunks... you know, really thick stuff. Then they make the boards they need. Everyone else pays some other schmo with the equipment to make it so"

SWMBO: "Couldnt you do it if you had a planer? I mean, make it whatever thickness you want?"-SWMBO

Me: "Well, yeah, but if the block of wood was thick enough, I could make more than 1 board out of its thickness... just not with a planer. For that I'd need a bandsaw so I could 'slice' the boards"

SWMBO: "So you need a bandsaw and not a planer?"

Me: "Well... you cant be that exact with a bandsaw. It gets you in the neighborhood, then you get it perfect with the planer"

SWMBO: "I see. So you really need both in addition to the jointer and table saw you just bought?"

Me: "I mean, to do the really nice stuff in a cost effective way... yeah"

SWMBO: "How much would those cost?"

Me: "Well, for anything worth it I'd probably be looking at $1100 or so for both" (knowing once the approval was given there would be at least a 20% markup)

SWMBO: "Wow... that is an expensive hobby."

I felt for a while like I was on the edge of a breakthrough, but then it kind of fell off. I figured I should let it be for a while... but the SEED HAS BEEN PLANTED and she didnt freak out.

SWMBO are strange creatures and after 10 yrs of marriage I'm still trying to figure this one out.

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike W.

About 30 years ago I asked my daddy -- being a newlywed and all -- "Dad is it always like this...?" and he said "It's pretty good when you get used to it -- I asked my daddy that -- and that's what he said..." and I asked "And how long does that take?" -- a 1000 yard stare later he said "I'll let you know".

Good luck.

Oh yes -- chocolates, roses and a day watching Soap Operas -- all to herself. Works every time.

Reply to
WillR

And just when you do, something will change "THE change" and its back to square one, again....

Reply to
Badger

Better keep her happy, Prometheus, with a hobby like that, she could be burning down the house. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

Nothing much to figure out.

Odds are, she'll eventually dvorce you and take 1/2 of whatever you've got.

Then, she'll sell your shiny toys at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar.

Not just my opinion.

Statistical probability.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

Gus -

My, my.... D>

Reply to
John Moorhead

You might not like it John, but those are the sad facts.

I've seen it happen to friends.

Reply to
Steve Decker

My, my. Aren't we the gloomy gus today. jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

It's a family joke with me. My daughter and I are very close and sometimes when I have a tool gloat that SWMBO just won't appreciate, I call her (or my son) to tell them about it. Neither of them is very impressed with me buying new tools.

Anyway, I said to my daughter once, "I don't know what you're complaining about, you're going to wind up with half of them eventually anyway."

"Yeah," she said, "biggest ebay sale ever."

Reply to
LRod

As someone once said "Women are strange chaps!"

Reply to
Peter D

So LRod, How's your health these days ? Lenny p.s. could your daughter post a list of what you have

Reply to
Lenny

Been 27 years here. I can tell you what my friend Warren told me years ago (he's an avid hunter).... "Anything that can bleed for 5 days and not die is not of this world"

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

So? Go round and buy them up yourself at the firesale prices.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Living large and walking tall.

Actually, you can see them on my website. Most of them. I might have left out a couple of insignificant things. I don't know how they're going to break them out. I mean I only have one Unisaw, one planer, one jointer...

Reply to
LRod

Wash the dishes, shampoo the carpet, clean the toilets, make dinner and giver her a total-body massage. If that doesn't shut her up, get her a big diamond ring. Then get a Delta 14" bandsaw, 15" planer, and a PM66 tablesaw with no complaints.

Reply to
Phisherman

S%#! I do all that stuff just so I CAN give her the total body massage. Still don't have the PM66 though (Except for the one at work that is)

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

HAHA.

I dont need the TS. If I had to do all that to shut her up I'd get a new SWMBO! :-)

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike W.

My wife likes the way you think...*G*

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't mean this to be a gloat, but I just go buy whatever I want. My secret is to find her most expensive hobby (mine's into "Partylite") and nag her about it now and then. It's very seldom that my SWMBO says a word about my woodworking, except to harrass me about some unfinished project.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

But does she like the way he gives massages?

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud