SWMBO gloat

Page 1 of 2
So...the other day SWMBO tells me for Christmas she has put aside $4000 for me to get new tools. Now I need to figure out what to get. I'm hoping some of the more experienced woodworkers here can help with suggestions.
I primarily build things like book cases, small cabinets, stuff like that. I don't really do anything with fancy turning or scroll work. I would like to build some new kitchen cabinets, chairs, table, entertainment center, stuff like that.
Already have a good table saw, a few good routers, router table, router bits (including door and panel sets), workbench, clamps, etc.
Was thinking of:
14" bandsaw Floor standing drill press Leigh dovetail jig Leigh Frame Mortise and Tenon Jig 8.5" sliding mitre saw K2000Pro DW735 Planer Couple of new Woodworker II blades and Chopmaster blades
Any thoughts of something else I should get - or substitute (if I run out of money) for building mostly cabinet based stuff like I mentioned?
Thanks!
You Suck! I am Sooo jealous!

for
stuff
bits
of
yobosaeyo wrote:

Me too. Little armchair figuring and after seven years of shopdom, my total comes to about $1500 in all. Nowhere close to $4,000, and he's getting that in one big chunk! Yeesh.
Milo writes:

Counting tax, you're just about there. Give some thought to a couple hand planes for some areas of your work. I'd add the Veritas apron pocket plane and their 4-1/2 to that, maybe. I'm not a neander, but I've found that having a good plane around sometimes saves on the electric bill and the nerves both when I don't have to get fancy with tool sets up. Not too long ago, another member sent me onoe of E. C. Emmerich's little block planes and that's a great tool, as well.
If you ever decide to go with square tenons, you might want to think about some good chisels to get rid of those round corners left by the Leigh M&T jig (and that thing is a wonder: I saw it a year or so ago and had to marvel at how easy it was to use and how well it did).
Or how about a lot of yellow birch (much cheaper than maple) to build yourself a workbench, to which you could then add a couple really good vises.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
I'm pretty happy with my bench and it has a good vice and holes for dogs. Hadn't thought of the plane, and I haven't used one in years, but there have times I wished I had one. Could also use some better chisels. I'm really looking forward the the FMT Jig. I've been doing mine with the TS, a small benchtop drill press, and some so-so chisels. Takes some time and, with my lack of skill, lot's of "scrap" wood. Do like the square tenons though.
Good ideas...thanks.

bits
and
when
member
tool,
some
(and
easy
yourself
state of

<snip>
Good, but why not a 16 or 18"?

Good

Good idea, but if you needed it, you'd probably have one now.

Overpriced, neat looking, small production shop tool, not really meant for hobbist use. (Leigh likes all the sales though.) Wait for a few more years and they'll start turning up on ebay and othe want ads.

8.5 is a good size, but for just a little more, depending on brand, you get 10" and more utility from the tool.

Nice to have, but not essiential. Also in the price range that you can stash away small amounts for a short time and pick it up later.

Nice tool. a little pricey for the home shop unless you plan on using it a lot. The lower priced 734 is a solid machine too.

Good idea. You can either buy 2 WWII, one to use and one to send to Forrest to be resharpened -or- buy lower priced but about equal blades to fill in while sharpening the WWII.

The acquisition phase is a lot of fun, but often you end up with good tools that you use *very* seldomly. Go slow. Buy smart. Buy what you need, not so much of what you want.
Good luck - have fun!
Myx
IAMF- Where did that $4k come from? Found money?
Myx

the
She handles the finances and likes to stash away as much as possible. Frequently uses some of this to play around with day trading and the market has been pretty good this year. Least that's her story ;). \mj

$4000 for

some
meant for hobbist

they'll start

you get 10" and

can stash away

using it a lot. The

Forrest to be

while sharpening

tools that you use

of what you want.

Milo wrote:

Just as long as she's not one of those bored housewife call girls...
(Had to say something like that to spoil some of your fun, you lucky dog.)
I would put the money aside until you actually need one of those tools and then buy it.
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:25:16 GMT, "Leon"

or better yet. put it away till you find real good deals on tools. more bang for the buck!!!! with 4 grand you can outfit a small shop real nice if you wait for the deals to come. and they will come!! nice to have the cash when they do. skeez
Set aside some of that money for wood finds, if you can.
An autographed photo of yr hmbl srvnt: $3995. :-) Cash, certified check, or money order. You also get my gratitude.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Milo wrote:

Amen.
Hell, Jo4n, for that price you can invite him to the islands for a visit and have some change left for wood.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Milo wrote:

Yes, you do suck.
How about a 'Fridge for your brew?
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Milo wrote:

I'm telling Wife how much you suck, she looks at me and reminds me how much I spent on tools (not to mention materials) in the last year or so.
You still suk, just not as bad as I thought. ;]
She may be setting you up, ten years from now when you need something she may look at you and say 'you should have thought of that when I gave you the $4,000'.
Before accepting the money you may want to get a 'statute of limitations' on how long it can be held over your head.
LOL!
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Are you kidding? I've never been married but even I know that there's no expiry date on that statute of limitations.

I'm married to a woman who has _never_ held anything over my head in 15 years.
Then again, I've never lied about the cost of a tool, and she dosen't hide new shoes in the car. We've always followed the credo that if you can't pass the red face test, you shouldn't be doing in the first place.
Sorry, guys.
Barry
in message

Same with us, except we celibrated our 20 this spring. Never a comment on my purchases. Great woman, if see ever decided to see who has spent the most money over the years, I am screwed! Greg