SWMBO doesn't like Yard Art

Page 1 of 2
I have fond memories of Christmas yard art from my childhood, so recently bought full-size U-Bild Santa, Mrs. Claus, reindeer, sleigh. . . the works.
SWMBO thinks it's tacky and is pretty adamant about it.
So I just put the whole U-Bild package up for auction. <sigh> Any words of wisdom from people who've been able to win over SWMBO in this area...???

There are certain topics over which it just doesn't pay to argue with SWMBO. This is one of them, and not just because she's right. And she is right.
A pukey duck by any other name...
If you surrender on this gracefully, maybe she'll let you keep the new bandsaw you ordered just for this project (wink, wink)
Patriarch

Well, I do agree that a *little* Yard Art goes a long way. I'm not a big fan of the bending-over-gardener variety.
Harvey Chute wrote:

What to you think of the "little boy taking a leak?"
Hey who am I to take issue with a classic..? Actually I may scale back to just a 6' Coca-Cola Santa and see if I can get away with it.

"Harvey Chute" wrote in message

works.
"Tacky" only applies if you put it up before Thanksgiving, or worse, display it before Halloween ... or never took it down from last year.
OTOH, go ahead, make it and put in the front yard with a "for sale" sign She might change her mind after she sees how much folks are willing to pay for that stuff ... or you could also just be thankful one of you has good taste. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman writes:

I've got a buddy who developed a liking for lawn art...after his "For Sale" signs didn't work.
It's an art form that I personally find slightly more acceptable than what Jackson Pollock used to do, though not quite as good as Andy Warhol's tomato soup can picture.
Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

My local Fred Meyer grocery store has already put up an aisle or two of Christmas light sets with the blow-up, ripstop lawn Santa watching over us all.
The whole scene jus'bout pissed me off crysake.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:34:24 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

I gave up Xmas a decade ago for that same reason: total commercialization/hype.
-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ---------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --------------------------------------------------------
Harvey, follow these steps: 1. put a high reserve on the auction 2. purchase a large cabinet saw to rip these giant objects in half 3. purchase a 24" planer and dust collection system to reduce the halves into manageable bags of dust. Everybody is happy.
-Brian
: I have fond memories of Christmas yard art from my childhood, so recently : bought full-size U-Bild Santa, Mrs. Claus, reindeer, sleigh. . . the works. : : SWMBO thinks it's tacky and is pretty adamant about it. : : So I just put the whole U-Bild package up for auction. <sigh> Any words of : wisdom from people who've been able to win over SWMBO in this area...??? : :

Perhaps your wife needs to rediscover her 6 year old inside. Maybe you could make a deal that you'd only put them up 7 days before Christmas and take them down on Jan. 2 - or somesuch schedule.
My 6 year old daughter would _love_ it if her old man would put up such displays.
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:37:32 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC

Christmas Eve to New Year's day is my window for decorating.
Bah, Humbug.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Yabbut, what can you decorate in Flor-eye-day? Palm trees?
--
Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Depends on the part of Flor-eye-day. Had a nice cedar in the yard that made a dandy outdoor Christmas tree, and the jasmine with the sprinkler on it usually made a nice ice sculpture. That was just a little north of Jacksonville though, not down Miami way.
--
--John
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:59:04 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Actually, although I grew up in Hollywood, which is down Miami way, I'm now in Ormond Beach, which isn't. Still no snow, though.
There's nothing "a little north of Jacksonville" except Yulee, Fernandina Beach, Callahan, and Hilliard (Boulougne doesn't count). I lived in Hilliard for a little while (worked there for five years). So where were/are you?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Got one in the BACK yard . . . to go along with the flock of Pink Flamingos. {'tacky' is the not-so-cheap plastic ones . . . these are 'cute' and distract from the rusty garden shed}
Also a Shark along the raised bed veggie garden, a Lighthouse in the flower garden, and two Anchors attached to the gate.
Of course when the guy across the street {with the idiot skateboarders}puts up his 8 foot dirty 'Snowman' {Geeze, at least 'refresh' the paint}. . . I keep thinking 'Shotgun !!'.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Na it should be SWTSMBO, then you can get on with it!
Compromise, compromise. Tell SWMBO you had planned to put up the decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving, but in the interest of diplomacy, tell her you'll put them up for only half that time, will have it down by Jan 2, AND be sure you solicit positive comments from your neighbors to reinforce YOUR contention that you are doing the neighborhood a favor by providing a fun holiday display for kids and adults to enjoy. Next year she might even encourage you to put up an even more impressive display by Thanksgiving weekend...
David
Harvey Chute wrote:

I guess I should have known better than to bring up plywood U-Bild projects - especially Yard Art projects - on a serious woodworking forum. <g> Appreciate the responses though. I think SWMBO wins this round. Anybody want the Santa package? Going for next-to-zilch on a world-famous auction site. I'm going back to building shop projects..!! - Harvey
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:22:51 -0700, "Harvey Chute"

Do a Google search on rec.woodworking for "bonfire", Harv.

<snicker>
That's great.