SWMBO

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Reply to
John Hibbs

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:03:15 -0500, "Chris" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

She Who Must Be Obeyed. A phrase originally handed to Adam by God, amongst other advice for survival.

Reply to
OldNick

H Ryder Haggard was God?

in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

keenly watched by millions when made into a TV series by the BBC. Rumpole always referred to his wife, Hilda, this way, but never to her face. See

and
> Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
David Fosdike

Sweaty Women Make Ben Ogle Sacred Witch of the Moon-Bow Order Sunny Weather Masonic Brigade Official Sanctioned Workers Marching Briskly Overland

Reply to
Joe Wells

Some Women (Wives) May Be Overbearing Some Workshops Make Better Outhouses

Allyn

Reply to
Allyn Vaughn

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:37:07 GMT, Dave in Fairfax vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

God only whispered it to Adam. Haggard either borrowed it, or innocently repeated it.

I know this not through some dicine conduit, bit because He MUST have said it. It's THE basic rule!

Reply to
OldNick

Mine won't stand for much, I can tell you that.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Doesn't stand to pee, either.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I perfer SWTSMBO

Reply to
Badger

Son, you're either not married, haven't been married very long, or she's got you _completely_ fooled.

--RC

Reply to
Rick Cook

Ayesha, the 2000 year young Egyptian priestess in H. Rider Haggard's "She" (if you prefer a movie to a book I suggest the Ursula Andress version and not one of the dozen or so others--might not be as good from a literary viewpoint but it's got the full Hollywood treatment and Ursula in her prime in that costume is worth a look) was known to her subjects as "She Who Must Be Obeyed" and Very Bad Things happened to anyone who neglected that rule. Later used in other contexts, most notably "Rumpole of the Bailey".

Reply to
J. Clarke

the latter, make me feel good though ;-)

Reply to
Badger

Yeah ... what's that the poor fool said about him being in charge of all the major issues of life, and his wife the minor? He decides things like whether they should be in favor of a trade policy with China, whether global warming is indeed a fact, and whether to join the Kyota accords: and she decides the minor issues, like which house to buy, how much they spend, what kind of car they drive, who takes out the garbage, etc.

Reply to
Swingman