SWM ISO something Pretty, Dark and Flexible.

I'm looking to make some almost black molding to contrast with the ash we're using in a desk that's being designed. We are not going to be staining the ash, so my preference would be a naturally dark colored wood that can be steam bent - but only to fairly large radii. My strong preference is to avoid laminating.
Any suggestions? JP
How about dying the wood of your choice to the color of your choice after steam bending and prior to attaching it to the desk?
Art

Will the dye affect glue adhesion? And will the glue affect the dye?
JP

I've used alcohol soluble dye and tightbond II without any problems. I did not steam bend though, but I don't think that will play a role dye/glue interaction. Be sure the dye is really good and dry before gluing.
Art

How about some dark walnut, no stain needed.
--
Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Jay Pique wrote:

Take a look at Argentine black Mesquite (prosipis nigra). There's a picture at <http://www.westpennhardwoods.com/common/item.php?id 3> that isn't far off, the pieces I've seen don't have that bluish or purplish cast that the picture shows though, they're more of a neutral black.
--
--John