switches

like the big arcade style switches on machines

easy to see and easy to hit and have a solid feel and sound

one concern is how they perform in a dusty environment

anyone here added arcade style switches to their equipment

Reply to
Electric Comet

WTF?

Reply to
woodchucker

I have, but not to woodworking equipment. I replaced a power switch on one of my computers, and also have used one for an alarm clock. The arcade buttons are a plastic cap on a sealed Cherry D44X switch:

Technical drawing of arcade switch and enclosure:

Datasheet on the Cherry D4 series

These are reasonable well sealed and I expect would be fine in a high dust environment.

Elijah

------ used to see D4 switches all the time in copiers and laser printers

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Thanks. I didn't think it was something like that.

I would think a better solution would be the Grizzly Magnetic switches with both on and off and emergency shutoff (that won't restart until reset (pulled out and twisted) )

I bought a bunch of them recently for $6.99

That ability to safely shut off if the power goes out is worth the price.

I notice they have 2 one for 110v and one for 120..

woodchucker

Price is showing as $9.95 for me.

I looked at the linked manual, and checked the part numbers on the switches inside. Curiously, you can buy the whole assembly for $9.95 (or $6.99 or at the "Regular" price of $22.95), and included in that is one KEDU HY57B which costs $26.25 on it's own:

Elijah

------ hopes the switch feels solid at that price

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

they are popular for light switches now too i recall push button wall switches in old houses so what is old is new again

they do seem to be well made and will place them in an enclosure

have bought stuff like this from digikey but that site has decent prices

lot of shapes and color

Reply to
Electric Comet

yes they are 9.95 now, they've been on sale twice in the 6 months. The 22.95 is labeled Shop fox, while the 9.95 is grizzly. The griz says

110v while the shop fox is 120v but the will handle 120. It's all about the amps, not the 10v.
Reply to
woodchucker

Quite often a 120V/20A rated switch is also suitable for 240V/10A. There would appear to be a somewhat linear relationship for V to A ratings in the range of ~100V to ~400V. Going to further extremes might not be recommended. My first year physics rule of thumb was 100V per millimeter of spark, so with higher voltages sparks cover larger air-gaps. And with higher amps at low voltages there would be heat problems.

Elijah

------ and the ozone from those sparks smells awful

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

The 120V/20A versus 240V/10A is a clue (volts*current=power)

They are saying that the switch is rated for 2400 Watts, but that is counter intuitive to the application when you are shopping for a switch that can handle x Amps.

The contact separation rule is spot-on for upper voltage limits (usually up to 600V before things really need to be redesigned for the gap).

Then there is the load type being switched, motors being among the worst loads.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster