Swiss pear

Can anyone suggest a uk company that deals in swiss pear wood and boxwood. I want to scratch build a model ship and use this type of wood. I do not have a thickness planer so will need the wood to be milled as well Thanks John
Hi John,
Craft Supplies (www.craft-supplies.co.uk) supply both pear (don't know what nationality it is, though!) and box. However, they tend to deal with turners' needs, so they're either in bowl blanks or lengths of 2" x 2", so you'd need to get then resawn and milled to suit. Any local joiner or cabinet-maker should be able to do that for you. Where are you at?
As a matter of interest, why do you limit yourself to these woods? I'd have thought that lime (very fine-grained and mild-to-carve) and holly (very hard and dense), to name but two, would have answered as well, from a scale grain viewpoint. Different colours, of course - but that's easily remedied.
Cheers
Frank

have
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 01:53:53 +0000 (UTC), "Frank McVey"

Craft Supplies might only _advertise_ turner's needs, but they actually have a large timberyard and mill. If you talk to them, they can supply most things in any size you want.
John Boddy is the "classic" source for this sort of timber.
Sadly neither of these two is cheap.
Hi Andy Thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with this supplier. John
wrote:

what
Hi Frank Thanks for your mail. The reason that I am asking for Pear and box wood is, this seems to be the wood of choice for scratch builders. I am part of a forum elsewhere and these woods come highly recommended. I reckon that others with greater knowlege than mine know what s best. John

boxwood.
On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:47:59 -0000, "John Brown"

How about lime (basswood) ? It's much cheaper than pear or box (I shifted 60' of rough-sawn log last week)
-- Congrats to STBL on his elevation from TLA to ETLA