Swingman - Ida Red / Maybelline - Next Time

Six Days On The Road.

Tennessee Waltz.

Begin The Beguine.

Money For Nothing.

Hummingbird.

Who Do You Love.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

Tennessee Stud.

Moon River.

Sixteen Tons.

Werewolves Of London.

America The Beautiful.

Orange Blossom Special.

(Just A Wish List, You Understand)

(I really would like to hear both Ida Red and Maybelline on the same disc.)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

We used to sing Maybelline around the campfire.. Maybelline...Mabyelline...prettiest town that I've ever seen....

Reply to
rickluce

Nah.

Kinda went like this:

Chuck Berry; Maybelline

MAYBELLINE WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE OH MAYBELLINE WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE YOU DONE STARTED DOING THE THINGS YOU USE TO DO

AS I WAS MOTIVATING OVER THE HILL SAW MAYBELLINE IN A COUP DEVILLE A CADILLAC ROLLING ON OLD GLEN ROAD NOTHING OUT RUN MY V-8 FORD A CADILLAC DOING ABOUT 95 IT WAS BUMPER TO BUMPER SIDE TO SIDE

chorus; MAYBELLINE WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE OH MAYBELLINE WHY CAN'T YOU BE TRUE YOU DONE STARTED BACK DOING THE THINGS YOU USE TO DO

A CADILLAC PULLED UP TO 104 BEFORE IT GOT HOT IT WOULD DO NO MORE IT DONE GOT CLOUDY AND STARTED TO RAIN I TOOTED MY HORN FOR THE PASSING LANE A RAIN WATER BLOWING ALL UNDER MY HOOD I NEW THAT WAS DOING MY MOTOR GOOD

chorus

solo

chorus

THE WATER COOLED DOWN THE HEAT WENT DOWN BUT UNDER THE HOOD THE HIGHWAY SOUND CADILLAC SAT LIKE A TOWING LANE

110 A HALF A MILE AHEAD CADILLAC LOOK LIKE IT WAS STANDING STILL I CAUGHT MAYBELLINE AT THE TOP OF THE HILL

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Sorry, Our campfires were a little too mellow for Chuck. BTW nice website.

Reply to
rickluce

Duhhhh, that was Abilene,,,not Maybelline. Got my songs confused. Bob Gibson Not Chuck Berry.

Reply to
rickluce

This might be the appropriate place to ask Swing to do, "Walking To Jerusalem (Just Like John). I'm partial to the Skaggs version but ya know, it's a religious thing.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Ricky RULES!!

Reply to
Robatoy

And all this time I thought Maybelline was done by Little Richard.

Reply to
Leon

I played many a gig with Leon "Pappy" Selph who claimed, to the day he died, to have written it. Knowing Pappy to be full of it, but a damn good showman, I still think it was probably Chubby Wise, but only the two will ever know for sure.

Jeeez, as if I didn't have enuff to do already. I still ain't finished with WRB's latest. Best I can do on the spur of the moment is "put" them on the same CD for you. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Chuck Berry was the biggy ... also have a version by Elvis on the Louisiana Hayride, August 20th, 1955. I heard it on KWKH, and becoming 12 years old three days later, immediately started planning to run away, hitchhike to Shreveport, and at least see, if not join, that circus. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Hey, I was thinking about you earlier this afternoon... ;~) I had black stain all over my hands. LOL Water based and it came right off of my hands with Orange Lightning and water.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, No, Swing!

It's much worse than that!

Those were the tunes that I was hoping that The Wild River Band would do on their next CD. (hee, hee)

I'd sure like to hear the Texas Swing version of Werewolves Of London.

(watson - who thinks that Mr. Herb could get a pretty good "Ahhooooo" out of that pedal steel)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

... and I thought it was done by Revlon. :-)

Mark & Juanita

On 11/29/2005 9:31 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

Naw, Maybelline was done by Johnny Rivers.

As I was motivatin' over the hill I saw Maybelline in a Coupe deVille Cadillac rollin' on an open road But nothin' out-run my V8 Ford Cadillac doin' about ninety-five Bumper to bumper rollin' side to side

Maybelline, why can't you be true Oh Maybelline, why can't you be true You've started back doin' the things you used to do

Reply to
Odinn

I trolled your ass with this because of Ida Red, which was done by the Texas Playboys and Bob Wills, and is the fundament for Berry's Maybelline.

I was actually serious about you guys doing Ida Red and Maybelline back to back.

I think it would sound cool.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

And I also think that you guys could kick ass on what I consider to be one of the most perfectly plaintive fiddle tunes: Jay Ungar's, "Ashokan Farewell".

You guys are so good that I might consider flying to see you, even it it wasn't a bidness trip.

Other Wreckers, especially those who are in the Huston area might consider a pilgrimage to hear The Wild river Band, as they are a treat for the ears.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

We have played "Ida Red" for years, but have never recorded it. ASATW has a modern version that would be tough to beat, as does Tom Morrell.

You're right about that. Besides the orignal, Bob Wills had another version called "Ida Red Likes to Boogie", which he recorded on the MGM "Boot Heel Drag" album. I am pretty sure that Herb played on it because he _wrote_ "Boot Heel Drag" , which was the flip side of "Faded Love" when it first came out, and he was with the band at the time.

I'll ask him this weekend if he wants to do it again. I'm sure one of the singers knows "Maybelline" ... it could very well happen, with you now getting co-producer credits on the cuts, of course. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Ya know, I really do need to fly to Houston.

I'm sure that we do bidness with someone out there.

Even if'n we don't, I want to hear Mr .Herb play in person.

That man is a tie to a history that most of us won't think about much until it's gone.

I don't want to be that dumb.

They talk much about Jazz being the true American music but I don't think that we need to subscribe to the unifocus of the typical pundits.

Isn't Bluegrass as demonstrative of an American ethic in music?

Isn't the Blues?

In fact, isn't Rock and Roll, of the Big Bopper and Buddy Holly variety, distinctively American?

Whence then Texas Swing - is it not the progeny of those sophisticated brothers Gershwin, Porter, Dorsey, both Tom and Jim, the licorice sticked black framed glassed band leader, Harry James, Guy Lombardo, Cab Calloway, Master Ellington, Brother Herman, The James', Woodie (not Nelson), Artie Shaw, Fred Waring (home boy vote), Nelson Riddle - mixed with the local flavor of what came to be called "Country Music"?

And, when I was a young peach of a man in the late fifties and early sixties and listened to the rebroadcast of WSM - wasn't I listening to particularly American music? And wasn't Bob Wills damned near a god?

Mr. Herb is a resource, although I am certain he would not like to be thought of in that way.

But he is.

And I need to hear him before he decides to stop playing.

For the good of my soul.

So, send me the current calendar.

I need to book a reservation on an airplane.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

You took the words "tie to a history" right from of my mouth. Herb Remington is indeed a part of musical history in this country, besides being a prince of a man. Herb will be 80 next June 9th 2006, and he's as active and plays, and tours, as well today as he ever did. WRB will be playing the West Texas Western Swing Festival that week in Snyder, TX and it's a good time to see/hear some of the old timers and legends from that era all in one place ... you could scratch a lot of itches by making that.

And back on topic, Herb also has a small shop full of tools where he makes his famous "Remington Steel", steel guitars. He uses ash for most of the bodies and, although he jobs out routing the bodies these days, he still does all the fit and finish himself.

Many of the same musicians, who made the rounds of the big bands during that era and who played with the above mentioned, played with Bob Wills, particularly when he was out on the West Coast. With the exception of the fiddles, the music is the same (listen to Benny Goodman's "Mission to Moscow" on WRB Vol2, which was a Texas Playboy staple and was also recorded by Duke Ellington's band, among many).

We'll pick out a good one and get you down here, Tom. During the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo would be a good time. Late February, early March, or Snyder in June 06 ... start planning.

Reply to
Swingman