Swingman - Design - The Completion Of A thought

I play some music and I build some woodwork.
Something that is interesting to me that brings the two together is that, if I build a piece and it does not look complete to me in some way, there is usually a simple explanation for the completion.
I think that this sense is very analogous to what a musician goes through in trying to come to a resolve.
In music, we have fairly finite ways of coming to a resolve.
I suspect that we also have fairly finite ways of coming to a resolve in the physical realm of wooddorking.
I'm not going to complexify this by saying any more.
Regards,
Tom
Thos.J.Watson - Cabinetmaker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Read up a bit on the theory of "cadence" in Western music ... it could open up your mind for some ideas for "completion/resolution".
The best of both musicians and designers seem to have an inanate sense of "cadence" in their respective aural and visual senses.

In music, if the listener can anticipate the next note more than 50% of the time, the piece is boring; if he can't, it is scattered - (Jerry Coker "Improvising Jazz"). Seemingly, this concept can be extrapolated to a visual sense ... in design, the good ones in a particular genre (Greene & Greene?) do seem to do pretty much just that.
Then again, as in music, some have it, some don't ... I find myself firmly in the latter category when it comes to design.
In art, as well as in design, I've always imagined that a correlation exists between the musical concepts of "tonal" with Western design, and "atonal" with Eastern ... but an imagination is vital to the process.
Maybe that's the answer?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Given today's taste in clothing and music--sweeping generalities time-- my design sense, generally known as "clunky", should be coming into vogue any day.

I'm sure that is not true, but thanks for the chuckle.
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:22:35 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self

Wear it in confidence, and BE style!
Fat chicks in belly shirts do the same...