Survey time - what is your favourite plane?

Page 2 of 2

An old Stanley #8 that Patrick Leach sent me when I requested a "user". Not a thing of beauty until you start pushing it across the wood. Original iron. Used mainly to take one shaving to perfect the edge coming off of the tailed jointer or final few thou of flattening of a surface after getting darned near flat with my most used plane--a corrugated bottom K5C (Keen Kutter copy of stanley #5C)

I have my Dad`s old plane;
Miller Falls #9......made from 1947-1949....he bought it new. And I have my Father-in Laws old plane a ; Craftsmans ...looks like a #4....1960 era......
I bought some waterstones n put a mirror finish on both. The Crafstman is a lil bit heavier and does a fine job. Haven,t used the Millers Falls much, but it works well too.Have to keep this two planes, seeing they been in the family so long. Getting them sharp is key though. Fun to use once in awhile. But i love my Norm tools...lol....George...

1. LN # * 2. LN Low Angle Block 3 Old English Coffin Smoother
Frank Drackman wrote:

Shouldn't that be Olde English? ;)

or Ye Olde
Tyke wrote:

I'm partial to one I made. A single iron (no chip breaker) "Krenov" type just shy of seven inches, with a 2" wide (corners rounded so that's somewhat reduced), 1/4" thick blade, and the primmest little lizard's lip of a mouth: it does very nice things in well behaved wood, and acceptably in even wild maple.
I'm going to try it again using the york pitch for the blade bed (or maybe a bevel up version for more flexibility) and hopefully have something good for the most difficult wood. I have a big slab of cocobolo I got just for tools.
er
--
email not valid

Tyke wrote:

favorite plane is the one I reach for for the task at hand. All of them are Veritas planes...
Dave
[snippage]

Two favorites:
A type-16 #4 Stanley. Has some of the nicest rosewood I've seen on a plane. And, it was the first plane I was able to get tuned up to the point where it'd work like a plane.
My other favorite, and one that gets a lot more use, is the Lee Valley Low Angle Block. This one feels really good in the hand, and works exceptionally well. I've also got the chamfering attachment for it, which is really handy ...
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
A cleaned up old #8
My favorite plane is a Stanley transitional coffin plane. It is the only thing that my dad owned that was his father's, who died when my dad was 8. Thus it is the only thing that I own that once belonged to my grandfather, who I never knew. The mouth is too wide (due to the wood base having been flattened a number of times over the years) and it is not the easiest to adjust, but I have other planes for actual use. I get this one out periodically to sharpen and run it over some wood just for the fun of it and to let it be used. Granddad might have liked that.
Dave Hall

Dave Hall wrote:

There's more to woodworking than tools. I think you've got your heart in the right place.
Stanley 7 that I got at an estate sale. I also got a Sargent 5, a Keen Kutter 6, and a block plane.
I use the block plane the most, and often the Sargent but I really love running that Stanley over a board. It just feels so *right*.
I've got LC scraper and scrub and I like 'em but I was a little surprised that when I need to plane anything, no matter what the job, the first one I want to grab is that Stanley jointer.