Survey: Internet Connection

Page 4 of 5
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:22:59 -0500, Silvan

Even the web and usenet is so much better on broadband, ANY broadband. <G>
Barry
Nowadays a cable modem. Yeehaw!
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:54:59 GMT, "Jeff P."

I have cable and wireless router hooked to the cable modem.. There is some degradation during peak cable use hours but it's worth the $$$$. Only thing faster that I've used is the WiFi 'hotspot"down at the public library where they have a fiber-optic feed. Life's too short to wait with dial-up..
Larry
Jeff P. wrote:

Check out
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0501 /
The data as of January was 55% broadband, 45% dialup at HOME. Growth of broadband is about 10%/year roughly. These are US figures. Canadian numbers are probably more skewed in favour of broadband.
At work, 81% of users have highspeed.
As for content, a picture is a good thing if it is really necessary, like a picture of an article I am bidding on on ebay. A huge flash presentation that is automatically displayed for me is annoying even with broadband. So is sound.
You can do alot with pictures, even for users with 56K dialup accounts if you process all your pictures to reduce the number of colours and resolution. JPEGs, or PNGs don't need to be 32bit colour multi-megabit for most things. Good clear pictures can be a few K compressed and that should take only a second to download.
If you have video, use RealVideo which lets you embed multispeed datastreams to support low speed and high speed alike.
I second the request to support more than just MS Explorer (I'm Linux)
I run a commercial website and you can be successful with a clean, clear presentation, lots of content, and graphics and pictures where needed.
Rob
Rob Mitchell responds:

Yes. Flash sucks, and not as if it is a gloat. I forgot to hook up my speakers for nearly three months after we moved. I then decided I wanted to listen to some Bill Haley and the Comets, so hooked them up, but when music isn't on (it isn't on often, because I don't like to try to work with it in the background), the sound is turned almost off.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
4.1mb cable

never
DSL. Love it.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

never
I got cable when it first came to my neck of the woods about 8 years ago. We're looking to move to a new house sometime soon, and broadband access is at the top of my "need" list. There's just no possible way I'm going from 3,000,000 bps to 50,000 bps (at best). Unfortunately, web designers, like public school teachers, have to work to the lowest common denominator. So, when you're testing your redesign, either test it using a modem or configure your web server to throttle the bandwidth accordingly.
todd
Dreamweaver gives an estimated load time for your pages but I test them anyway with my auxilary dial up line that Roadrunner provides. I've found the times in Dreamweaver quite accurate. My goal is to keep all load times in the 15 to 25 second range for a 56k connection.
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog

A few pieces of advice:
1) Make sure any 'home'-type page(s) load _fast_. i.e., about 25Kbyte *max*. 'Instant gratification' _is_ important for retaining the first- time visitor. 2) Anything 'big' (i.e., over 25-50k) put a parenthetical after the link that gives the approx. 'size' (in kbytes) of the page data. This is called 'managing expectations' -- when people _know_ 'in advance' how long they'll have to wait they tend to be much more tolerant of delays. *AND*, those who know that they don't have the patience won't even _try_ the page. 3) consider putting up 'parallel' pages for low-speed, and high-speed, access. If you're careful to make all the links on the page 'relative', you can accomplish this by changing _only_ the 'base' tag at the top of the page. 4) You can get amazing savings by reducing the number of 'colors' used in an image. and JPGs are not always smaller than GIFs -- especially where "thumbnails" are concerned. A *sixteen* color GIF may be entirely adequate for a 'preview' shot. 5) consider using "frames". to allow _selective_re-drawing_ of *partial* page content.
One other consideration is the _outbound_ bandwidth from your web-server. If you're running it at the end of a DSL/cable connection, the 'upload' speed limits of that connection can become a real problem. Especially if multiple people hit the site at 'more-or-less' the same time.
i.e., if you've got a link with a 384K 'upload' speed, then *six* simultaneous requests for a circa 150kbyte ("20 seconds at 56k") page will result in at least 20-second 'load' times for _all_ the viewers. EVEN those with _multi- megabit_ 'download' capabilities.

A few pieces of advice:
1) Make sure any 'home'-type page(s) load _fast_. i.e., about 25Kbyte *max*. 'Instant gratification' _is_ important for retaining the first- time vistor. 2) Anything 'big' (i.e., over 25-50k) put a parenthetical after the link that gives the approx. 'size' (in kbytes) of the page data. This is called 'managing expectations' -- when people _know_ 'in advance' how long they'll have to wait they tend to be much more tolerant of delays. *AND*, those who know that they don't have the patience won't even _try_ the page. 3) consider putting up 'parallel' pages for low-speed, and high-speed, access. If you're careful to make all the links on the page 'relative', you can accomplish this by changing _only_ the 'base' tag at the top of the page. 4) You can get amazing savings by reducing the number of 'colors' used in an image. and JPGs are not always smaller than GIFs -- especially where "thumbnails" are concerned. A *sixteen* color GIF may be entirely adequate for a 'preview' shot. 5) consider using "frames". to allow _selective_re-drawing_ of *partial* page content.
One other consideration is the _outbound_ bandwidth from your weh-server. If you're running it at the end of a DSL/cable connection, the 'upload' speed limits of that connection can become a real problem. Especially if multiple people hit the site at 'more-or-less' the same time.
If you've got a link with a 384K 'upload' speed, then *six* simultaneous requests for a circa 150kbyte ("20 seconds at 56k") page will result in 20-second 'load' times for _all_ the viewers. EVEN those with _multi-megabit_ 'download' capabilities.
Same here, Cable, and for the same reasoning too.
Jeff P. wrote:

Dial up here. Specifically, peoplepc. 56K modem. Currently connected at 45.2Kbps (sometimes up to 48). I had cable before too. Miss it too. Cannot afford it since retiring. Joe
Jeff P. wrote:

DirecWay satellite broadband. Live too far out to get DSL or cable.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Just out of curiosity, how do you like Directway and how's the quality of service? Price?
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog

D ... i ... a ... l ... u ... p.
Jeff P. wrote:

I'm
some
you
I'll never

Jeff, I looked at your website, and thought I'd give you some pointers as someone who has done design for nearly 10 years now.
On your home page, you're using the browser to resize your "pens" picture. The quality on that particular graphic stinks, and you're using up bandwidth because the entire pic has to d/l anyway. You should resize it in your graphics software. In PS, I got that file to be 9K in size (from 15k). The pic of the kid I got to 17K (from 23k).
IMO, I'd lose all the drop shadows. I find them annoying, and you're going against convention and placing the light source in the upper right instead of the upper left. It's somewhat disconcerting, and it would save you time and bandwidth if you dropped them. Just use a nice 1 px border with style sheets.
That's about it. Mostly in picture size. Your banners under Links I got to under 8K each, that's half size.
If your hosting provider provides for some scripting, I would get rid of your email address and make a form that people fill out. This will eliminate any spam bots from gathering your email address.

I appreciate the comments Larry. I missed the fact that that pic was resized. Not intentional. I resized it just to see what size I wanted it and then forgot to go back into PS and do it for real. It's too big now even when resized in browser. I'm still in the process of optimizing all the graphics and the links page was one that I've yet to tackle.

I really like the drop shadow but I guess you can't please everyone. I wanted a look as though it was all laying on a table in front of you. While convention may dictate that the light comes from the other way(I didn't know that), I can't see that it matters much at all. I like em so I'll keep em in (at least until version 3.0) but I thank you for your comments.

That's an awesome idea. I haven't had any problem as of yet with spam on that add but time will tell it's been up for over a year now). Might be that a form would make it easier for people to leave feedback or drop a line.
One question. I added a layer centering behavior because I just think it looks better centered but what do you think? Just did it this morning so if you didn't visit today (Monday) check back.
Thanks again
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
Sorry this is so off topic for a WW NG. Just helping a fellow Woodworker...

wanted it

now
all
You don't mention the version of PS, but you should be doing a "Save for Web" to save these as JPGs, then change the "quality" slider down, IMO around 50-60 on most pics works great.

rid
will
spam on

be
It's actually a little more of a pain for the user since if they want a response they have to type in their email address, but I think it's worth it. I get ZERO spam.

think it

morning so if

I personally like things left justified and if you notice nearly every commerical website everything is LJ, but since this isn't a business I allow for a little more creativity... I just looked at your source and if you're concerned about bandwidth, you did the centering the hard way!
Just place all your content in a 1 celled table that is centered. Also not sure why you're preloading a bunch of images, or if that code is just left over from something else.
What are you using to do your development?
Here's some great tips:
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com
There's an "old" saying in web design: What Would Amazon Do? They are IT as far as selling products online. Here's a few things Amazon does without you probably noticing it:
-FEW images for navigation, and those that are there are quite small. All of the tabs at the top are less than 2k. -The links under the tabs are text only. -Take a look at the physical size of all the pics on the page. The largest one I see on the home page right now is 90x90 pixels. -Their content is not fixed width. As you change the width of your browser, the width of the page expands to fill. This is done with tables, not Divs or Layers. -Style sheets, style sheets, style sheets. If you're not familiar with them, they allow you to define a "style" which is a set of attributes that you apply to different components of your page. For example, the main text in your site could have a style, and if you ever want to change the font size, for example, you only have to change it in 1 place, and it can apply to the entire site.

Somebody must be filtering it for you. I have a couple accounts I have never used for anything but there is always spam in the mailbox. I think ISPs sell your name. (Comcast, AOL etc)