Surreal Borg Experience

She is kind, courteous, and sweet personified, with a disarming smile, but inside is a charming junkyard dog ... I've never heard her raise her voice in 25 years, but if she wants to do something, makes no difference if it's an impossibility by all standards, she _will_ have it.

I'm damn lucky she's on my side ... (well, most of the time).

Reply to
Swingman

Some help you don't want. I ran into an order-taker named Clamidia. Honest.

Reply to
HeyBub

We also have a Sears appliance outlet nearby. The appliances sold there are identical to the models sold in the retail stores, except that most of them have varying degrees of cosmetic damage. Presumably it's the same at all Sears appliance outlets.

Reply to
Doug Miller

AAMOF, we bought our own Kenmore dual fuel range from a Sears outlet center.

It was a "scratch and dent" item.

The "scratch" was that the bottom drawer slide was off on one side and apparently no one but a woodworker knows how to put side mounted drawers back in?

It's been 8 years and still haven't located the "dent".

Saved well over $1k on the appliance.

I would not hesitate to go for it, with common sense, of course.

Reply to
Swingman

Normally I wouldn't personally touch something like that with a 10' pole, but recently, on a kitchen Leon and I built and installed, I ran across a situation where the kitchen Island propane cooktop, and telescoping downdraft vent, bought by the client from two different online sources (AND *two different brands* to boot!), needed to be installed, and, for a myriad of reasons, with no one to do the job on time.

Decided to bite the bullet and do it myself, which, besides the usual installation of the units, entailed moving the regulator on the cooktop unit(GE) to make room in the cabinet for the downdraft vent unit (Frigidaire) ... I am not a plumber, don't play one on TV, and hate anything to do with "pipes" in general.

Looking ahead, and before I would even let the client back in the house for the night, I scheduled the propane gas company to do a "disconnect" in the morning, and then, after conveniently finishing the job, a "reconnect" in the afternoon (the lines had already been pressure tested).

Neither of which was remotely necessary.

However, a gas "connection" in an unincorporated area requires a safety inspection of all gas appliances/installations, which meant, coincidentally, that _my_ work would undergo a rigorous safety check for proper installation, connections, and leak test ... all done under the umbrella of their state license and liability insurance.

Sometimes, you do what ya gotta do to skin the particular cat ....

Notice that those guys who were cheap during this last building boom are now shoe merchants or ribbon clerks ...

Reply to
Swingman

... snip of what I would define as proper customer service.

Thanks, that's kind of what i expected. Bottom line, I don't think I'm out of line in my expectations.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I don't suppose it's possible you misheard the name "Claudia"...

Reply to
Steve Turner

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:43:14 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita scrawled the following:

Yeah, Maytag, Sears, Minwhacked, Thompson's Waterseal, Yugo... Great marketing, for awhile, then the real rep catches up.

My brand new Made-by-Maytag MagicChef washer died a couple weeks into its life, the motor letting the magic smoke out. When the guy came to replace it, he swung a leg up on top of the dryer to reach back and unplug the washer, as I'd done on many a washer/dryer in my years as an owner. Just before he left, he was buffing the top of the dryer when I saw the fresh dent. "They sure dont' make 'em like they used to." we said, as he took the number to send for a replacement lid.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The strangest phone center name I heard was the guy who called himself "Mustang."

Reply to
Steve

Having worked big box retail, I can back you up on this -- the ultimate indignity is that many shoplifters simply went to the "tool" aisle, opened a package of Stanley utilty knife blades, headed to the electronics dept. where the higher dollar items are of locked "security" pegs. One quick zip around the item to open the clamshell, drop the balde, and bye-bye.

Kinda made you respect the guy who would load a shopping cart with a bunch of DVD players and dash though the doors!

Reply to
Steve

Man, that's shitty. At least the guy should have enough class to bring his own tools.

Reply to
Roy Smith

I feel your pain. I just did the exactly the same thing you did. I needed a padlock and went to the local borg. Got one of those new-style Master locks with the weird-shaped keys and the insane packaging.

I got mine open by clamping the plastic blob in a vise and whacking the thing with a hammer. Truly amazing. I thought it was just me who was suffering from advanced decrepitude and couldn't figure out how to open a package from the store. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Yep, it was a Master padlock. And the packaging was truly insane.

The package would certainly challenge anybody who did not have some tools handly. No way you are getting into that thing without some kinda firepower, leverage, cutting edge, fire or something.

After claims by a resident curmdgeon that I was exaggerating this experience, it is good to hear from a fellow master lock customer. I am glad I am not the only one.

The lock itelf?? It is quite substantial. The key inserts kinda funny. But that is OK. I expect most locks to have a secret handshake. But once you figure that out, it works just fine. Big, solid, secure, etc, just what it is supposed to do. And if you are man enough to break into the package, it will do the job just fine.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

At home we use kitchen scissors but good grief what next will we have metal mesh ?

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I think you screwed up. The package is what you should be using to secure stuff instead of the padlock.

Tim Douglass

of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Reply to
Tim Douglass