Surreal Borg Experience

Page 5 of 5
On Dec 28, 10:44am, "Lee Michaels"
[all-too-familiar-rant snipped for brevity's sake]
An impact gun, a flashlight and a multi-tool. All in a case, Lithium Ion 2aH Bosch... good deal. BUT.. I already have the Fein albeit corded. So I scare up a HD employee, because I want to see his collection of replacement blades for the Bosch multi-tools. *I* want to see them because I want to make sure that the blades can be used either on the Fein AND the Bosch."Well, sir, we don't carry the blades." "Ohhhhkaaayyy.. you sell the tool, but not the attachments.....?" "Rona sells them." (Another big box store chain up here in Kanuckistan) "That's a bit silly don't you think there young fella?"... and I stood there staring into the vacuum of his eyes. After a few Ren & Stimpy grade blinks, he tried to explain this. I walked away, shaking my head...
I'm still no wiser when it comes to who-fits-who in the buzzer-tool bizniz. Guess I best do some DAGSing then. (Or somebody's done that already?)
"Robatoy" wrote
An impact gun, a flashlight and a multi-tool. All in a case, Lithium Ion 2aH Bosch... good deal. BUT.. I already have the Fein albeit corded. So I scare up a HD employee, because I want to see his collection of replacement blades for the Bosch multi-tools. *I* want to see them because I want to make sure that the blades can be used either on the Fein AND the Bosch."Well, sir, we don't carry the blades." "Ohhhhkaaayyy.. you sell the tool, but not the attachments.....?" "Rona sells them." (Another big box store chain up here in Kanuckistan) =========================== Yep, and it can become a real problem. I used to be able to run up the street and buy any consumable for almost any tool. Not any more. I have met many folks in the trades who have trouble getting consumables at a reasonable price.
I have some angle grinders. And it is almost impossible to get the wire brushes for them. I finally found some for a reasonable price on ebay. I can buy the grinding disks almost anywhere. But no wire bruses. And anybody who welds or works with metal uses the wire brushes often. In fact many metal fabricators I have met have multiple angle grinders with the different abrasive disks and wire brushes on them. That way they don't waste time changing disks/wire brushes.
Another problem with them not selling the consumables is there is a lot less competition. So the price is higher
You are in desperate need of one of these, which I highly recommend:
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1&pf_rd_i006ACWEQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_rTMDRQXC5YRCQ8TC5MD
Lee Michaels wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote

(Amazon.com product link shortened) 1&pf_rd_i006ACWEQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_rTMDRQXC5YRCQ8TC5MD

Leon mentioned that these are available at home depot. I will check it out. One of the reviews at Amazon says that it is cheaper at home depot.
Thanks for the heads up Pat.
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:10:03 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"

With two sharp ends, that thing looks like an accident waiting to happen. When you pick it up with the razor knife out and try to cut something and then lay it down, look out!
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

The blade is spring loaded, you have to hold it in the open position otherwise it springs back closed.
If these things hurt you you have other problems. LOL
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:47:48 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

There is a lock on it and I'd be willing to bet that most people would use it while they work if it's more than one slash they need. I'll bet these guys get sued over it by some idiot who loses a little finger.

Suicidal tendencies? <g>
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

SNIP.

We can only hope that the bastards who design the impenetrable plastic packaging get to spend their afterlife opening that crap with butter knives.
RonB
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:04:53 -0800 (PST), the infamous RonB

Them and the shoplifters and thieves who drove mfgrs to use that kind of packaging to avert loss at the stores. <sigh>
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor
Lee Michaels wrote:

I've found that my band saw is an effective opener for that kind of packaging...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...Oops, that was one of the handles. Damn.
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

I feel your pain. I just did the exactly the same thing you did. I needed a padlock and went to the local borg. Got one of those new-style Master locks with the weird-shaped keys and the insane packaging.
I got mine open by clamping the plastic blob in a vise and whacking the thing with a hammer. Truly amazing. I thought it was just me who was suffering from advanced decrepitude and couldn't figure out how to open a package from the store. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
"Roy Smith" wrote in message wrote:

Yep, it was a Master padlock. And the packaging was truly insane.

The package would certainly challenge anybody who did not have some tools handly. No way you are getting into that thing without some kinda firepower, leverage, cutting edge, fire or something.
After claims by a resident curmdgeon that I was exaggerating this experience, it is good to hear from a fellow master lock customer. I am glad I am not the only one.
The lock itelf?? It is quite substantial. The key inserts kinda funny. But that is OK. I expect most locks to have a secret handshake. But once you figure that out, it works just fine. Big, solid, secure, etc, just what it is supposed to do. And if you are man enough to break into the package, it will do the job just fine.
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 23:44:50 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

I think you screwed up. The package is what you should be using to secure stuff instead of the padlock.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.