Surreal Borg Experience

Page 4 of 5
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

If you don't like the message, attack the messenger, comes to mind.
Lew
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:30:40 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Hmm, I don't believe that I was, but...whatever.
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

NPR seems to be the polar opposite to Fox News. (The only difference being that NPR doesn't fabricate their news)
No siree... I stay firmly in the middle with my news sources. Fark.com
Robatoy wrote:

Didn't know that Dan Rather worked for FN??

My favorite also ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

HA!
YOU are shiatting me? That explains a few things.. <G>
Robatoy wrote:

Irreverent regard for the pompous of any persuasion ... gotta love it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 12/29/09 11:42 AM, Robatoy wrote:

You misspelled New York Times.
--

-MIKE-

CBS. NBC....
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:42:23 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

I'm an www.onion.com man, myself.
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

LOL....
Look for "center" aviation snips in cooking section, labeled "kitchen shears".
nb

Kitchen shears work pretty well.

This is it, works well.
http://www.enjoyzibra.com/openit/
Leon wrote:

Most can be opened easily with a can opener. The manual kind you squeeze and turn the handle. See it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyw2AxcC9xE

How did you get the package open?

IIRC they are held to the package with twist wire ties or zip ties.

I just use the scroll saw on those pacages.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

<snip the balance>
No hardware stores in your area?
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yep, one right up the street. But none open at that hour. I needed a padlock last night and the borg was the only thing open.
I am going up to that hardware store today or tomorrow to get some fasteners. They cost less and are higher quality than home depot.
Not one with any sympathy for the big borgs unfriendliness, but you did get your padlock. They probably had the best crew they could get when everyone else is closed. Credit where it's due, they've gotten me out of a few jams too.
Happy New Year

On the other hand...
It's gotten so that I can barely bring myself to take the time to go to the hardware store/lumber yard that my family has done business with for 60+ years. Why? My last three trips exemplify why: they've stopped carrying lines that I've used for years (e.g., Minwax, Woodlife), have holes in the displays were the item I need should be (e.g., 2 1/2" hole saw), or their prices, even with my trade discount run 20-40% more than the Borg ($22 for the same hole saw HD sells for $13.xx--glad they didn't have the 2 1/2" saw when I saw that!). They've gone down scale with the brands/quality for many items too... used to have Milwaukee and Porter Cable and now have Skill and Black and Decker. Years ago the help was helpful... now they are clerks are on par with the typical mall store. I'm still dismayed by the time I took dowels to the counter, from the display across from the counter, and the clerk asked me what they were...
Home Depot and Lowe's on the other hand have generally had what I needed the past few years and the help was helpful--experienced retired tradesmen. When I told the guy I needed a double gang old work box but the shelf was empty he not only knew what I was asking for but knew where the back up stock was on the high shelve. Sad to say the Borg experience has become a better experience compared to the hardware store where they formerly wrote up my order without having to ask for my name, I signed for the stuff and walked out--now I seldom see the same clerk twice outside of the lumber desk and they can never seem to find my account in the computer.
If I drive about six miles past HD and Lowe's and go across the toll bridge there is a good locally owned store. I bought a lot of stuff there over the years... especially stuff like pumice, shellac, Hardi Plank siding, 21' lengths of gutter, scaffolding planks, and other things that are not available or difficult to buy at the BORG. An example of BORG difficulty in purchasing was the time I needed a joining kit to gang up a couple double hung Anderson windows. Special ordering the ganged up window was about $220 more than taking two stock units and joining them with a $25 kit (though I did have to make the wood joint trim) but the experience took me two trips and about 2 hours... an hour and 35 minutes of it standing in lines to pick up the special order. Should have driven the extra 12 miles for that purchase!
I'm afraid the 100+ year old store has lost it's competitive advantages over the past 20 years. It's now a good place to buy bird seed and household knickknacks but not so good for hardware, tools, or building materials... Sad state of affairs.
John