Surface planers... worth the investment or not?

Page 2 of 2

loutent wrote:

We have the Ridgid Planer(13") from HD. My Father-in-law bought the first one about 3yrs ago. He used it some and then it sat for a few months. He used it again on some Oak and ran about 50bf through it and then it shot sparks everywhere. Thinking that the warranty was gone on it, he pushed it to the side and did not try to have it fixed. One day we were in HD and we asked about the warranty and getting it fixed. We were informed that HD did not handle the repair and was given the number of a shop to take it. We took the planer to the shop, the owner took one look at the planer and said he would order a new one. I am thinking how much will that cost and ask. The owner informs that the cost is $0, nada!!! He says that Ridgid is warrantied for LIFE.
We got a brand new planer(13") for no charge and it is a better design than the first one. We have put hundereds of board feet through it with no problems, with the most BF being red oak and walnut.
Best I can remember it cost $425 new. Comes with two sets of double sided knives. We also got to keep the extra set of knives from the old planner.