Super-powered Splinters

Page 2 of 2

"Joe Bemier"

snip other good information:
By: Michael Ochoa

All the other information is more or less correct. However, disease killed more sailors than all of the naval battles. If disease didn't get them, infections, many from splinters, would also take a large toll. Deaths from actual battles were the least of their worries.
Dave

I'm sure, Dave. It's amazing that disease did not take larger numbers than it did.

DF has given me some nasty splinters. As soon as I get one, I make every effort to remove it before it get locked in. It sometimes calls for a little self-administered surgery. A very sharp pocket knife has served me well a number of times. Dr. Dave says, clean well with alcohol, cut it open, remove the intruder, apply antibiotic, bandage or super glue and move on. But then again, anyone who takes medical advise from the wreck needs to see a doctor anyway!
Dave
Teamcasa wrote: [snipperified for brevity]

You crack me up, Dave.....too funny.
I ran my hand once along a freshly sanded 8-foot strip of oak and proceeded to accordion a sliver into my index-finger bone. Open finger surgery didn't even get all of the oak out. That forced me to cancel several gigs as I couldn't even hang onto a pick, much less play my guitar. Quite a few people were very appreciative of that misfortune. *wry grin*

Many practice one-ups-man-ship here so here's mine Rob - I was sanding a bamboo flyrod when I was younger - not knowing it had a small crack. As I slid my hand down sharply, the sandpaper opened up the crack and a 8" sliver pierced my lower palm and exited out of the side on my index finger!
As I was home alone I had to cut the sliver from the pole and extract the sliver by myself! Man did that hurt~ The scar is still in my palm today 40 years later.
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

You forget: X-Acto knives. A set includes all the blades you need to do self-surgery. Some 190 proof ethanol (For medicinal purposes), an alcohol lamp (not a candle- too much soot), and some iodine (I use the stuff we use to sanitize beer equipment) and you can go to town digging out even the nastiest splinters.
As a tip- cut opposite the penetration direction. That ensures you don't split it and push two pieces in further.
While it might be nice to have a shot in the finger to help you deal with the pain, the pain helps you focus on where it is- where it hurts is where the splinter is....
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hell, I'll just take a couple of shots of the 190.
;-) Glen
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
> Some 190 proof ethanol (For medicinal purposes), ....
Went to a co-op school which req'd working in industry in alternate quarters when not attending classes.
My roommate had a co-op job at the Cleveland Clinic pharmacy which gave him access to 190.
A bottle of 190, maybe 1-1/2 pints, a big can of Hawaiian Punch, and a dorm room on the 13th floor with a window that overlooked frozen Lake Erie in January (who needed ice), and we were in business.
Ah yes, those were the days my friend.
Lew
You're overcomplicating things. A pocket knife is all that's needed. Forget the rest of the stuff.

CW wrote:

Pocket knife? Pshaw!
All you really need is a flat blade screwdriver. Root around in there for awhile until it comes out the other side. You may not get the splinter out, but the intense pain and copious bleeding will make you forget about it. ;)

Same here. I have a scalpel and a bottle of rubbing alcohol.