Suggestions on new tubine HVLP

We've finally decided to give up on compressor driven HVLP guns and move to turbine unit. I know everyone has a different idea od which is "best". As much as I'm happy to here your opinions on brand, please shed a little light on any other features to look for.

We spray a lot of water-based poly. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 3 stage, but is a 4 stage necessary? What about needle size? We argue about this in the shop daily. Anyone have any fact-backed reason for recommending a needle size for spraying water-based poly?

I've been looking at the turbinaire, accuspray, and fuji. The turbinaire is very nice and the accessory kit with all the needle and nozzles is choice. I havent looked at Titan, or wagner. My local professional tool retailer has the 3 stage CH for $400. that's so cheap i could buy two, but is it any good. I dont mind spending $1000

- $2000. I just dont want to spend it on the wrong unit.

All help and opinions are welcomed and appreciated

Reply to
RemodGuy

JGS

No, a four stage isn't necessary for water based lacquer or varnish and the needle/nozzle combination sold with a three stage is usually the one that will work with those products as well as other common wood finishes and stains.

If you've already been spraying you probably already are aware of it but proper needle/nozzle does not mean that some thinning isn't required. Be sure whatever you get includes a viscosity cup and at least guidelines as to what should do what when using the cup. .

Reply to
Mike G

I have the Fuji Q3 and spray WB dye, shellac and WB poly. I use the #3 setup that came standard with the unit and have no problem atomizing the poly with less than full air. I bought the #4 nozzle setup just in case, but it's still in the bag.

JGS wrote:

Reply to
L. Wilson

Do you know what the size of that #3 needle is?

Reply to
RemodGuy

This web page

it to be 1mm or .039

RemodGuy wrote:

Reply to
L. Wilson

Get one with pressure feed!

Reply to
gene

The Turbinaire has pressure feed.

William Lee

Reply to
WilleeCue

I recently got the Wagner 2600 from Amazon for $479. Some of the positive features are: It's a 3-stage, has an insulated handle, a durable 20' hose, non-bleeder gun, top and bottom hose connections, easily adjustable air cap, fluid and air supply can be finely adjusted. It's my first gun, though and I've only gotten to use it about 8 times. An article in American Woodworker mag. (July 2003) rated 22 HVLP turbine units priced under $600 and the 2600 got the "best buy", and the Titan TS40 got the "Editor's Choice". One thing I really like is that cleaning it is so fast and easy. I haven't sprayed any WB yet, but I have sprayed 'heavy' material. I spray a Sherwin-Williams industrial enamel. Unthinned viscosity cup time was

4min-45sec, thinned 15% dropped the time to 45 seconds. It goes on decent in cooler weather, and great at 75 deg.

If money were no object, I'd have gotten one of the big-3 myself. I'd stay away from the CH.

Good Luck Larr

Reply to
Larry West