suggestions on cutting flutes on a corner post?

Hi,

I am making a chest on chest that somewhat follows the version Norm made on the NYW. My "customized plans" call for corner posts with fluted columns, where the flutes are cut on the corner of the post, on a 45 degree angle.

Norm, of course, had the perfect tool for this; something called an overhead router (looks like a router mounted like a radial arm saw). I don't have the luxury of such a tool, so I'm trying to come up with a reasonable jig that will hold the piece well enough to either do these on my router table, or allow me to hold the router and cut them. The ultimate goal being not to ruin 4 pieces of 2" x 2" cherry, that already have the lambs tongue details cut in them.

The only thing I've been able to dream up are cutting a few 2 by 4s pieces at a 45 degree angle, and then building those up enough to be able to provide a nice flat surface to slide the router across. I haven't come up with any reasonable ideas for the router table yet; at least none that would allow me to drop the piece straight down in the

45 degree slot onto the bit (my sample pieces slid on it a little sideways initially).

I checked a few woodworking books for some hints, but haven't found anything yet. I'm assuming someone has figured this out, because fluted corner posts seem pretty popular on many cases.

Any suggestions

Reply to
Tom

If I'm understanding what you're looking for correctly, google "Router Crafter", which is something that Sears used to sell and that you can sometimes find on ebay. There was a thread on rec.woodworking a few weeks ago on this that has some sources for alternatives--that search on Google Groups restricted to the last 3 months and rec.woodworking should hit it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's why the Craftsman "router/crafter" was invented.

You may be able to find one someplace.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Perhaps a jig something like this...

JeffB

You could make a V block to set the back corner of your piece into so that the flat surface that will be cut faces up. Then mount this V block in the bottom of a trough made from 3 long pieces of wood/plywood (bottom and 2 sides). Using your router with an edge guide (or two) riding on the top edges of this trough much like you would to cut mortices, you should be able to cut one or many flutes in your piece. If you want the flutes to taper at the ends then make a ramp for the router to ride up at each end. This will lift the bit gradually out of the piece.

Reply to
Charley

Tom: Shopnotes, Sept/Oct. 2006, vol.15, issue 89, has a pretty neat "Fluting Jig" for palm router that might fit the bill. It's cheap enough and quick enough to be filed for my "gotta build this" list. May have to be modified slightly for your specific needs!

Reply to
Bill Hall

All,

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up with a jig roughly based on Charlie's suggestion. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it will provide the control and support that I didn't think I would get using my router table.

Reply to
Tom