Suggestions for Maple/Walnut finish

I just finished assembly of a photo storage box, which is made of walnut front and back panels and maple side panels. They are joined in the corners with some through dovetails for contrasting color. I'm ready to finish it, and my plan was just to brush on some minwax clear oil based poly. I want to bring out the grain but limit the amount of work. I love those pictures of hand rubbed finishes that are built up of 10 or 12 coats. But I don't have the patience and the box is due as a gift weekend after next. Any recommendations or is the minwax a good compromise? Mark

Reply to
Mark

I would use a few coats of Waterlox - an oil/varnish blend. It is really easy to apply and brings out the grain very nicely, as well as provide moderate protection. Then put a coat or two of paste wax on the surface.

check out

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Perfect job for shellac. It builds quickly, dries quickly and, if you do it tonight, you may be able to gently rub it out before delivery.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Thin the Minwax at least 50% and wipe on several coats .. .. .. usually, you can do 3-4 coats in a day, with a LIGHT sanding about every 4th coat, just to get rid of dust nibs. Thin with VM&P Naphtha and it will dry to the touch in minutes .. .. .. after about 3-5 days, you can let it "REST" & cure for several days. Wax it, using 0000 steel wool, and it should look GREAT !! !! !!

I just used this procedure > I just finished assembly of a photo storage box, which is made of

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
lost160

Hop on down to your favorite hardware store and gets a couple or three spray cans of Deft lacquer

With shellac's drying time it'd also be a good candidate but, because of it's quick drying time, brushing it on is a tad more problematic then spraying the lacquer.

Ahh, if you do go with the lacquer make sure you have some decent cross ventilation. The stuff will have you buzzed in about ten minutes if you don't..

Reply to
Mike G

Shellac dries remarakbly fast...you can apply several coats each day.

Reply to
Chris Merrill