Suggestions for Maple/Walnut finish

I just finished assembly of a photo storage box, which is made of walnut front and back panels and maple side panels. They are joined in the corners with some through dovetails for contrasting color. I'm ready to finish it, and my plan was just to brush on some minwax clear oil based poly. I want to bring out the grain but limit the amount of work. I love those pictures of hand rubbed finishes that are built up of 10 or 12 coats. But I don't have the patience and the box is due as a gift weekend after next. Any recommendations or is the minwax a good compromise? Mark
I would use a few coats of Waterlox - an oil/varnish blend. It is really easy to apply and brings out the grain very nicely, as well as provide moderate protection. Then put a coat or two of paste wax on the surface.
check out www.waterlox.com
Mike

On 14 Aug 2003 13:34:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote:

Perfect job for shellac. It builds quickly, dries quickly and, if you do it tonight, you may be able to gently rub it out before delivery.
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Thin the Minwax at least 50% and wipe on several coats .. .. .. usually, you can do 3-4 coats in a day, with a LIGHT sanding about every 4th coat, just to get rid of dust nibs. Thin with VM&P Naphtha and it will dry to the touch in minutes .. .. .. after about 3-5 days, you can let it "REST" & cure for several days. Wax it, using 0000 steel wool, and it should look GREAT !! !! !!
I just used this procedure on a vanity I built for a friend .. .. .. finish looked GREAT after about 5 coats .. .. .. sanded it lightly and gave it 2 more .. .. .. looks better than the pre catalyzed lacquer I usually use .. .. ..
Mark wrote:

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!
<<<__ Bob __>>>
Try zinser quick 15 brush on varnish. Can put 3 coats on in a day and rub out with turpentine and mineral oil and 1500 grit paper for a beautiful finish. Seal with a thin coat of shellac before first coat of varnish. Shellac needs very little time to try.

Hop on down to your favorite hardware store and gets a couple or three spray cans of Deft lacquer
With shellac's drying time it'd also be a good candidate but, because of it's quick drying time, brushing it on is a tad more problematic then spraying the lacquer.
Ahh, if you do go with the lacquer make sure you have some decent cross ventilation. The stuff will have you buzzed in about ten minutes if you don't..
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
Mark wrote:

Shellac dries remarakbly fast...you can apply several coats each day.
--
Chris Merrill