Suggestions for making a "ring"

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at

2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!
Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Do you know how to weld or solder a bandsaw blade? If you do cut the inner circle the same way you did the outside one.

TED

Reply to
TrickyWoo

If you are doing a lot of this you can do what I did. I have a router insert in my table saw extension I never used much. I made an insert for my jigsaw and a simple melamine jig for the tablesaw top that went right or the insert and allowed spinning the work on any center. I made 4 ft round table tops this way out of 2" thick pine. You need a top end jigsaw however.

Reply to
Bill Clarke

round picture frames are typically made in pieces, and joined together with splines or some such.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Two thoughts:

  1. Lathe and faceplate.
  2. Router and templates.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Listen, if your lathe doesn't have a 4 foot swing you're not a REAL woodworker.

Reply to
Bill Clarke

OK, I'll freely admit that I misread this. BUT - a lathe head has two sides, does it not? If the centerline of the spindle is more than

2' off the floor, then you can turn something as big as you want. Need a spindle that is drilled through and some creativity, but it could be done.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry, no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Yup! 20" pieces, eight of them, 22.5 degree cut on each end, to be joined I have two of these rings to make, so 16 pieces, total. Think I'll have some degree accuracy if I cut the inner curve before assembly then bandsaw the outer curve after?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

if it were me, i'd glue them into 4 semicircles, dry join 2 together, draw out the 2 circles, split it back into halves, and then cut the inside and outsides on the bandsaw. repeat.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Actually, I just did something similar to this with a router. Need a 4' hole in a floor (fire station, opening for a pole). I took a piece of plywood, nailed through that into the center point of the future hole, and used that as a compass-type tool to swing the router around while holding a constant distance from the center point (e.g. a circle). You could do that, start with the outside one, then change the distance to do the inside one. No muss, no fuss, no template even. Circles, those are easy. Does that work for you?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sabre Saw?

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

I think we have a winner! Although I think I'll still bandsaw the outside one as it will actually be easier than the router. I'm reclaiming some redwood and I'm trying to minimize the amount of machined surfaces so I can keep that nice weathered / silvery finish. Plus, the bandsaw will leave a slightly rough surface that will, hopefully, age quickly. Thanks for the help!! Mark

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Router and center point for me. Common enough use for a router to be in almost all the books. I've done the bandsaw for outsides, jig works fine. Trouble is, you're still going to have to spokeshave or belt sand the edges anyway, with the problem of flat spots. Router leaves a nice edge, and doesn't care if it's making a hollow octagon round or a huge slab into a donut.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

A "routah" with a circle cutting jig is what you want/need.

Home made from 1/4" plywood or store bought made out of plastic.

A straight cutting bit and a base that can be cut into(like mdf) and you will be in business.

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

What material? What purpose? Plywood? Cut with a jigsaw, and then file. You won't see the flaws driving past at 40. Good wood for fine furniture? Cut close with a jigsaw, then finish with a router, guided from the outside edge.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Mark, Be careful when routing the inside of the ring. Tape blocks or dowels in as you go or double stick tape the ring to a scrap to hold it secure. Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 5:17pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@no.address (Bill=A0Clarke) claims; Listen, if your lathe doesn't have a 4 foot swing you're not a REAL woodworker.

Nah, that'd only mean your not a real woodTURNER.

You don't need a lathe. Easy. Drill a hole in the center of a

4'X4' piece of plywood. Tighten up a bolt thru it, the bolt in a hand drill. Clamp the drill in a vise, turn it on. You take down the outside with a wood rasp. Use a parting tool for the center. No prob. =

Let us know how it works out. If it works, I may try it too.

JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T