Suggestions for making a "ring"

Page 1 of 2
As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at 2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!

Do you know how to weld or solder a bandsaw blade? If you do cut the inner circle the same way you did the outside one.
TED

If you are doing a lot of this you can do what I did. I have a router insert in my table saw extension I never used much. I made an insert for my jigsaw and a simple melamine jig for the tablesaw top that went right or the insert and allowed spinning the work on any center. I made 4 ft round table tops this way out of 2" thick pine. You need a top end jigsaw however.

round picture frames are typically made in pieces, and joined together with splines or some such.
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Yup! 20" pieces, eight of them, 22.5 degree cut on each end, to be joined I have two of these rings to make, so 16 pieces, total. Think I'll have some degree accuracy if I cut the inner curve before assembly then bandsaw the outer curve after?

with
if it were me, i'd glue them into 4 semicircles, dry join 2 together, draw out the 2 circles, split it back into halves, and then cut the inside and outsides on the bandsaw. repeat.

Two thoughts:
1. Lathe and faceplate. 2. Router and templates.
Dave Hinz

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:05:09 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

Listen, if your lathe doesn't have a 4 foot swing you're not a REAL woodworker.<g>
Tue, Jul 27, 2004, 5:17pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@no.address (BillClarke) claims; Listen, if your lathe doesn't have a 4 foot swing you're not a REAL woodworker.<g>
Nah, that'd only mean your not a real woodTURNER.
You don't need a lathe. Easy. Drill a hole in the center of a 4'X4' piece of plywood. Tighten up a bolt thru it, the bolt in a hand drill. Clamp the drill in a vise, turn it on. You take down the outside with a wood rasp. Use a parting tool for the center. No prob.
Let us know how it works out. If it works, I may try it too.
JOAT Expensive tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe. - Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE http://www.banjer.com/midi/jerridge.mid
Bill Clarke wrote:

Yes, but it would be so much easier to put that 28" bit in the drill press:-) Joe
Need to turn something big? http://www.emachinetool.com/used/catalog/vertical.cfm?DestinationCategory=Vertical%20Boring%20Mill&ProductID 075
wrote:

outer
saw
press:-)
CW wrote:

http://www.emachinetool.com/used/catalog/vertical.cfm?DestinationCategory=Vertical%20Boring%20Mill&ProductID 075
Damn, I knew I should have made the new shed^H^Hop doors wider. Now it won't fit:-( Joe

I wonder if they take PayPal?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:05:09 +0200, Juergen Hannappel

OK, I'll freely admit that I misread this. BUT - a lathe head has two sides, does it not? If the centerline of the spindle is more than 2' off the floor, then you can turn something as big as you want. Need a spindle that is drilled through and some creativity, but it could be done.
Dave Hinz wrote:

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry, no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.

Actually, I just did something similar to this with a router. Need a 4' hole in a floor (fire station, opening for a pole). I took a piece of plywood, nailed through that into the center point of the future hole, and used that as a compass-type tool to swing the router around while holding a constant distance from the center point (e.g. a circle). You could do that, start with the outside one, then change the distance to do the inside one. No muss, no fuss, no template even. Circles, those are easy. Does that work for you?
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

I think we have a winner! Although I think I'll still bandsaw the outside one as it will actually be easier than the router. I'm reclaiming some redwood and I'm trying to minimize the amount of machined surfaces so I can keep that nice weathered / silvery finish. Plus, the bandsaw will leave a slightly rough surface that will, hopefully, age quickly. Thanks for the help!! Mark
About time someone suggested this. Yes, router compass (circle cutter to most). Cut the inside and outside both.

Router and center point for me. Common enough use for a router to be in almost all the books. I've done the bandsaw for outsides, jig works fine. Trouble is, you're still going to have to spokeshave or belt sand the edges anyway, with the problem of flat spots. Router leaves a nice edge, and doesn't care if it's making a hollow octagon round or a huge slab into a donut.
wrote:

outer