Suggestion for Pulling 4x4 wooden fence post.

Page 2 of 2
There are several methods which have already been mentioned: 1. Cut off at ground level and abandon, 2. Bumper jack and chain, better yet two bumper jacks on opposite sides, 3. Long lever method, 4. Soak and digging bar method, 5. Chain over a tire rim method - gotta be careful here: neighbor hooked up his 4WD truck front bumper to the chain. Put it into compound low and started backing up on dry driveway. When the post broke, the chained piece launched toward his windshield. Could be an expensive way to remove a post.
My favorite is #2 with a pair of 48" farm jacks and a short length of 1/4" chain.

If they are set directly in the ground (no concrete) you can jack them out with a bumper jack. Use a lenght of chain with a slip hook and/or securely attach a block of wood to the posts for the jack to push on.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
I used an engine hoist to remove a couple. It works great too.

i used a cable com-a-long hung from a frame made of a 2 x 4 up one side with a 4 x 4 going across to a step ladder(ladder helps to stalize this frame). wrap the cable as low to the ground as possible and if not to wet the post will pull up leaving a hole to put the metal post in with cement . then you will not have to replace again.if the post is rotted it will likely break at ground level then you will have to dig a round enough to get cable & hook to hold .
cp wrote:

Wrap a chain around it as low as you can and use a jack. I've used old bumper jacks, a Jack-All (bumper jack on steroids) and even a hydraulic trolley jack with good results. A hydraulic bottle jack won't work well because of it's short stroke and it's tough to get a good bite on the chain.
Hope this helps, Hal
On Sat, 08 May 2004 05:12:15 GMT, R Stone <"robert<no