Suggest good furniture book please..

I have a family member that is what I would consider an expert woodworker. He is getting older, and would like to make some furniture for those of us in the family that are younger.. some heirlooms.

I'm hoping the rest of the experts out there can steer me toward some good books of plans or ideas. I looked on Amazon, but there seem to be so many. I'd like something with a lot of good ideas, wide ranges of different items, and possibly some measurements.

Any help or suggestions on books to look out would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jerry Napoliano

Some sites offering inspiration:

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Sun, Jul 4, 2004, 2:38pm snipped-for-privacy@aeroflex.com (Jerry=A0Napoliano) claims: I have a family member

You go to your local library, and find one you likel, then got somewhere and buy one. Or, go to a decent used bookstore, and buy a bunch.

JOAT Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous.

- Interesting Times

Reply to
J T

Moser's book of various plans is great.

Reply to
Rumpty

Now there's advice that I couldn't get anywhere else. That's what I love about Usenet, always someone willing to help out.

Thank god for WebTV.

Reply to
Jerry Napoliano

Mon, Jul 5, 2004, 8:01am snipped-for-privacy@aeroflex.com (Jerry=A0Napoliano) claims: Now there's advice that I couldn't get anywhere else.

Not entiredly correct, but check how many responses you get telling you that. Not many. Most people either supply titles of book THEY like, but not necessarily one you will, or tell you to use google - which is a very good suggestion.

However, neither of those options allow you to hold the book in your hands, and thumb thru the pages. Barnes & Noble, or such, are OK, but all they have are the latest books, and very few I'd be interested in, for one. My usual practice with them is to check their books for one I would like to have, and then check my favorite used bookstore for a copy of it at one-fourth the price. Kinda surprising how often that strategy works. The library system is the still the single greastest source of plans there is.

Both the library and the used book stores also have out-of-print books you can thum thru. Try finding one of those in Barnes & Noble. Amazon does offer some out of print (OOP) books, but you can't thumb thru them. In fact I just found that Amazon is offering some OOP boat books, that I own copies of. Their prices range from about $45 to $85, per book. I got mine in my favorite used bookstore, I think the highest I paid was $7.95, for one in about new condition.

That's what I love about Usenet, always someone willing to help out.

You didn't give much to go on in your original post. You searched Amazon. That it? Stopped there? Seems like it. Also didn't say WHAT KIND of projects. Chairs, tables, knick-knack shelves, kids toys? Modern, Colonial, European, what? Gonna use power tools, or hand tools. Etc., etc., etc.

Thank god for WebTV.

You damn well betcha. If you don't like me on WebTV, buy me a computer. Alternately, if you can tell me something I actually NEED a computer for, I'll buy my own. My original, I got for $100 - brand new, out the store. Printer, around $80. So able to send-receive e-mail, surf the web, get on rec.woodworking, play games, do wordprocessing, and print. So, tell me, how many people use a computer for more than that? Besides playing games, or word processing (WebTV can do both too), that is? Not many. My original WebTV got fried some years back, while I was in the hospital. I think my mother used it during a storn. This one is the $200 model, I got used, on eBay for $50, some guy had "upgraded" to a computer. Totally wore the first printer out, so my present one ran me about $100.

And, yeah, I've used computers. I was a lead computer operator for most of 9 years, and ran from9 to 11 main-frames. The number changed at times, but never less than 9. Most of that time on shift alone. A PITA when your PC crashes? How about 9 or so going from a power loss, dues to a storm? Then the phones start ringing, with a college grad on the other end saying "My compter's down". So, you don't bother to explain (again), that he's got a terminal, the computer's in with me. Instead, you ask, nicely, if there's any power out there, and when he says "No", you tell him computers won't run without electric (again). Then you wait for the next question, which alllllllways comes, "When's the power coming back on?" Then when the power does come back on, the phone rings, as it always does. "The power's back on, but my computer doesn't work." So, you explain (again) that is will tak about an hou to get the computer back up and running. And, you wait. For the 4-year college graduate, with a degree in electrical engineering, working in a computer manufacturing pland, to ask, "But, can't you just turn it back on?" That question wasn't every time, but often enough. And, it wasn't just one person asking, it was amost every "supervisor" on the floor, every time it happened. It was so expected, and so routine, after awhile it was just easier to go along with it, like a tired old vaudeville routine, that isn't funny any more, but expected to be part of the show.

If I needed a computer, I'd have a computer. Being as I don't have a computer, apparently I don't need a computer.

By the way, if you want some free plans, I'd suggest using google, or just check the rec.woodworking archives. I'd give the link to that, but with WebTV, I don't know if I'm qualified to do that.