Sucks no more ...

The shop vac that is. Almost dead but hasn't died yet and I keep waiting for it to go because I hate the scream it makes and am tired of always having to put on my ear muffs just to start it up for a few seconds of cleaning up. So I am thinking I just might get the P-C 7812 at Amazon. The price is up there when compared to others but what is my hearing worth? Plus I hope to get a better tool. Before I make the leap and have to live with another tool that I should have done my homework on before I buy it and have to learn to love it, who among you own one and what advice do you have? Would you buy it again? Is it as good as the reviewers on Amazon claim? Let me "hear" from you...

Reply to
DIYGUY

I firmly believe that during development all shop vacs are taken to the Pratt & Whitney engine test room. They run the jet engine and shop vac at the same time. When the jet engine can't be heard over the shop vac they know the shop vac is ready for production.

Reply to
TaskMule

Windex time again! LOL

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Mon 20 Dec 2004 08:17:05p, "TaskMule" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

I concur. :-) I built a box on casters, lined it with carpet, put in holes for the hose and the cord, and then a bunch of one-inch holes at the back for the exhaust. One of my smarter moments, even if I did get the idea from Home Handyman. The shop vac is only a little louder than the DC now. When it was down in the basement, SWMBO said the difference was amazing. Before the box, she had to go upstairs to hear somebody on the phone. After it was in the box, she didn't even have to turn up the sound on the TV.

Having a spare work surface on wheels with a power strip, that's not much bigger than the vac's footprint and a place to store all the attachments are added bonuses. Right now the planer's sitting on it.

I know we have this conversation every six months or so, but I haven't built a whole lot of shop enhancements that were this cheap with that much payback, so I talk about it. Over and over.

The fun part is showing it to friends. Turn it on, they say "Well, that's not exactly quiet." Open the door, watch their eyes get big. "OH. I see. Hm. Okay, that's a difference. Shut the door."

Reply to
Dan

The sound volume of my Craftsman Shot Vac finally made me get a Fein Turbo II. The Fein, like the PC7812, can be activated by the on/off switch on a power tool (router, sander, etc) plugged into the vac. However, my understanding is that switch on the Fein is rated for 15 amps while the PC is rated significantly less. If you plan on using higher amp tools (like a router) this may be a concern.

Reply to
Jim Giblin

I have a Ridgid shop vac and I would definitely get another one

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

Sorry, I couldn't hear you. My Ridgid shop vac was on.

I have one as well and it does make a lot of noise. Certainly compared to my Festo CT 22. The latter sucks better too. I have the Ridgid attached to my table saw. With a switch next to the table saw switch so I *do* turn it on (and off!). The CT 22 is used for routing, biscuitting, sanding and when I use my Festo circular hand saw to rip big sheets.

Reply to
mare

Great idea, Dan. Well worth plagiarizing. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I have the next size up.

it's a good machine. the layout and features are well thought out. it's quiet and has plenty of power. it has very good dust filtration.

the plastic trim parts- hubcaps particularly- haven't fared too well.

Reply to
bridger