Subfloor thickness for 3/4" wood floor question

What about from an angle leaning over the side of the wheelchair? Don't forget, from a sitting position, I'm close to a foot shorter than someone who is standing. As well, I'm fully capable of leaning over far enough to pick something up from the floor and I have a great deal of upper body strength, so leaning over if needed isn't a problem. I guess I'm just theorizing at this point. I'd never know for sure until I actually get my hands on a porta-nailer and actually try it out.

Reply to
Upscale

In my first response on the subject of operating a manual nailer from a wheelchair, I said that "I SUSPECT that this would be difficult from a seated position". I wasn't ruling out the possibility. As the old saying goes about "the proof of the pudding", so you could easily prove me wrong and, indeed, I hope you do. A lot of respondents in this thread like the manual nailers (vice the air driven ones), so perhaps I am wrong about them. However, my recall of these was that one really had to pound on them in order to tighten the floor and drive the nail. Moreover, when I watch flooring being installed on TV (in one of those DIY-type shows), the installers always seem to use air nailers.

Reply to
TEF

When I installed my floor I was using my whole body for the task. I used my left foot to hold the wood snug to the already nailed flooring. Balancing on both legs, an arm to hold the pneumatic nailer and another with a bunch of chest thrown in to swing the mallet firmly to set the wood tight and actuate the nailer. It took a good while to do the floor as it was. My intial set of the wood consisted of a quick quality control look and then placement of the wood. A firm tap while the foot was resting heavily on the wood to place it fairly tight. I might have to reach 3 feet to the left to swing the mallet to set the end tongue tight. My dad did a series of wedges when we fixed some flooring in our old house. We nailed a scrap 2x4 on the floor. We drove a wedge of scrap flooring against the bowing floor and the 2x4 to force the bow out.

I guess I am saying it was a full body experience. If you are used to working in a chair then you probably know good tricks to work with what you have. I sometimes do not work smart. ;-(

Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I suspect that everything you've said is probably correct. I just happen to be one of those people that likes to do everything myself and don't like to ask for help (unless it's asking a good looking woman to reach something for me in the grocery store). I'm guessing that I can operate a porta-nailer satisfactorily, but that I'll have a problem keeping the wood in place while I'm nailing it down. I seem to remember a show on TV once where they were using a type of ratcheting web clamp to keep the wood butted up tight while it was being nailed down. If I ever do a floor, I'll probably end up getting some buddies to help me and then spring for some beer after that.

Reply to
Upscale

Maybe some kind of attachment to the chair to work as a "third hand", use the inertia of yourself in the chair to apply force, and then use the brake on the chair to hold things together while you nail?

Reply to
J. Clarke

3/4" of hardwood T&G flooring is plenty strong enough without any underlayment.

make sure the 1/2" ply that is there has a nice smooth level surface, or it will make a bunch more work for you during installing and finishing of the flooring, and may contribute to a squeaky floor problem later on.

Reply to
bridger

I suspect those folks haven't tried the air version.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y