Sub-base for Chopping Block Table?

I plan to make a 20" x 40'" chopping table. I can get two 20 x 20 x 1 pieces of maple chopping block for about $40. However, I would like the table top to be two inches thick.
Will 1 inch plywood be a good sub-base for the chopping block material? Is there something better? Is typical wood glue the best choice to bind the block to the sub-base? Would contact cement be any better?
How should I edge-trim the two pieces? Are bread board ends the only safest way? Any other suggestions?
Cape Cod Bob Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis Delete the two "spam"s for email
They are edge grain not end grain chopping panels.
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:13:13 -0400, Cape Cod Bob

Cape Cod Bob Visit my web site at http://home.comcast.net/~bobmethelis Delete the two "spam"s for email