Sub-base for Chopping Block Table?

I plan to make a 20" x 40'" chopping table. I can get two 20 x 20 x 1 pieces of maple chopping block for about $40. However, I would like the table top to be two inches thick.

Will 1 inch plywood be a good sub-base for the chopping block material? Is there something better? Is typical wood glue the best choice to bind the block to the sub-base? Would contact cement be any better?

How should I edge-trim the two pieces? Are bread board ends the only safest way? Any other suggestions?

Cape Cod Bob Visit my web site at

the two "spam"s for email

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob