stupid safety rulers...

I wanted to buy a replacement 12" stainless steel ruler. Shopped all around town. Apparently almost all now have rounded corners, presumably to keep us from hurting ourselves, so the graduations don't go all the way to the end. So you can't use them easily to make inside measurements... So I can be trusted with a chain saw, a nail gun, a milling machine, etc., but I need to be protected from sharp corners on my RULER ??????????? Bob Wilson (It does look like Grizzly has one that it as at least squared off at one end with graduations clear to that end.)

Thirty-eight bucks buys you the Starrett.
Buy it once. Buy it right. Own it for life.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/MS-0124/Starrett-12quot-Machinist-Rule
$25 got me the "Pinnacle," from Woodcraft. In truth, I think it's an excellent piece.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020079/18892/Pinnacle-12-Precision-Woodworking-Bevel-Rule.aspx
They're still out there. Don't despair ... yet ;-)

I have 2 of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32567&cat=1,43513
When I can't find either one within 10 seconds, I break out in a cold sweat......
On 10/5/2010 5:26 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I think I need that one to augment these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p2568&cat=1,43513
I have all but the 36" version, and they've worked out great for me.
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 16:48:28 -0500, "Robert L. Wilson"

Woodpeck has a crapload.
On 10/05/2010 05:48 PM, Robert L. Wilson wrote:

That's what grinders are for :-)
On 10/5/2010 6:56 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Been there, done that, still use the ruler I did it to. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Have you seen these? http://tinyurl.com/2dacfp4
Max
says...

Check McMaster--they've got more than a dozen 12" stainless rules starting at under 6 bucks, most of them squared and with graduations to the end.
Or treat yourself to a Starrett combination square, which includes a 12" chrome ruler of Starrett quality.
Robert L. Wilson wrote:

You should avoid using the end of any measuring device; that's where the error is.
For example, the original meter standard is the distance between two lines drawn on a Platinum-Iridium bar, not a plank of metal exactly one meter long.
On 10/5/10 9:55 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I think that mindset comes from using cheap rules. I buy expensive rules, now, after learning my lesson. I check them before leaving the store, or send them back if they don't check out.
--

-MIKE-

To check your rule, get one a meter long and check it against the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second
On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:12:39 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

With your handy, new, pocket Furlongs per Fortnight lightmeter? Excellent idea, Toy. Gotta go now. My MrFusion is coming out of the shop this morning.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On 10/5/2010 9:55 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Guess I'd better throw away my depth gauge then.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

That would be true for tape measures and yardsticks but not precision rules. If they are manufactured to federal specs, the baseline for all measurements to prove calibration is the end.
Now now...
The ends of rules are not to be used anyway due to the 'end' effect of it shortening.
One is to use from the "1" marker where the end might be dented or warn.
If you have to use the tip corner - order one from a major scale line. e.g. from Starrett themselves.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /