Stupid layout tricks

Or, what I learned this weekend.
Had a little 'outside' project to build; a small, sort of triangular frame with a 3/4" ply skin. (Think 45-right-triangle, with a couple of corners nibbled off).
Took my notepad outside, measured, and re-measured; drew, and re- measured some more. Set up a couple of sawhorses, and layed the cuts out on the plywood. -- Cut the piece out, and took it to its new home.
Did I mention that the plywood had one good face, and one not?
D'oh. Apparently, in the process of laying the cuts out on the plywood, I'd transposed left and right (or more likely, moved my reference from the "back" to the "front").
So the piece fit perfectly. With the good face *down*.
Well, rather than call it a mistake, I decided that I just needed a full sized template. I still had a half-sheet available, so I bit the bullet, and cut a new piece, this time making sure to get the good face *up*.
Oh well, it turned out ok in the end; and it was a nice afternoon to make sawdust. Just a little more than I'd planned.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

Whew! And I thought I was the only one that had a dysfunctional part of the brain when laying things out. I am absolutely sure that the likelihood of layout mistakes is directly proportional to how much time you spend thinking and planning. The more planning and drawing you do, the more likely you are to screw it up. I'm becoming a real expert at pre-planning in a cad program. My stack of templates from layout mistakes is growing. Maybe there's a counselling service we could both use?
Bob

"Hi, My name is John. I don't know my left from my right; Or is it my front from my back. Well, it's something like that"
Or
"Buddy, can you spare a reference?"
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
John Thomas wrote:

I don't know my AC from my DC.     j4
"jo4hn" wrote

I am not paranoid. But everytime I measure something, my tape measure keeps changeing the numbers on me!
Wow, only now do I realize how many good patterns I've allowed to get away.
Been there, drank that ...... er, I mean DONE that.
-jbb
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:56:18 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas