Stupid castor question

Page 1 of 2
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway. I am making a butcher block island for the kitchen. I want it on locking castors so that it can be used as an island or pushed against the wall as a breakfast bar. I have found a few different castors and they are weight rated. If a castor weighted at 250 lbs is that for each castor or for a set of 4?
Thanks Rob
--
"This is the price of manhood - acting when you must and not complaining
that someone may get hurt."

Absolutely nothing "invalid" about it ... it is an industry standard formula for figuring weight ratings for equipment on _four casters_. How many butcher block kitchen islands have you seen with less than four casters?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Swingman wrote:

I have one with less than four casters.
It has *zero* casters.
So there! :P
You could also make do with three if you have a couple of spare cats laying around. Just stick one under the high leg.

Best one I've seen just had two - you tipped it up a bit like a sack truck to move it. Saved all the malarkey with locking castors. -- Smert' spamionam
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Sounds more like what we'd call a "kitchen cart". You're right about locking casters.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
Swingman wrote:

You're a gub'ment worker aren't you?
UA100

Guess again ... the only government money around here is all outgoing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Each, and it's "caster". "Castor" is an oil. Drink up!
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 02:39:20 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

Yup, and mum would line all five of us up, grab one nose at a time, and shove a spoonfull into each little gagging mouth. Was the olden days version of vitamins - yuck. Or was that cod liver oil?
-Doug
Doug Winterburn asks:

Cod liver oil, I'm pretty sure. Nasty stuff. Vitamins D and A?
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
Charlie Self wrote:

Probably. Castor oil is (mostly was) used as a purgative.
On 01 Jan 2004 09:00:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

http://tinyurl.com/ysf4w or <http://www.thenaturalconnection.net/TNC%20Columns%202000/question_of_cod_liver_oil.htm
I thank Buddha that my mother didn't subscribe to that. We got vitamins and/or food containing the vitamins we were short on.
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message brought forth from the murky depths:

Hey who switched the "o" and "e" keys on my keyboard???!!!
Rob
Rob Hall quotes:

And she would know?
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
one thing to consider is how smooth and level a floor it woll be on and how much rolling around it will do. if you have a very lumpy floor such as saltillo tile or slate the tires will tent to catch while rolling. when this happens, all of the weight effectively is taken by one wheel.
    Bridger
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 01:45:40 GMT, "Rob Hall"

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
On a roll-around, butcher block kitchen island, which is what the OP is building, you certainly want to take caster weight rating into account. If they're high quality and rated correctly, the swivel and roll ability will take care of itself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03