Stuff you wish you'd done sooner...

Somebody had a thread to this effect a bit back, but I've lost it.

Some recent additions...

I finally tried using wax on a screw. Why did I never do that before? It's only suggested in every book in the world. It really works too!

I already mentioned making a miter sled, but that one was the easy one with the plywood factory corner. Easy to make, not so easy to use precisely. I saw a plan for another type long ago, and I finally dug it out and made one. It involves a right triangle cutout with a clearance hole in the bottom of the V.

Much harder to make well, but *much* more precise to use, since I can measure/cut straight lines and then trim the waste. I'm still dealing with a saw that has nothing good going for it, and these cuts still aren't absolutely perfect, but I figure if I can knock the point off with my thumbnail it's plenty close enough for me.

The down side is that this method is more wasteful, since the little triangle cutoffs are pretty useless. Less wasteful than having to re-make parts because you cut one 1/16" too short though. Maybe I can glue them up into some kind of turning blank after I make a bunch of these from different woods.

Reply to
Silvan

I still haven't done it, but I've always wanted to make to collection of articles, formulas, and standards relating to woodworking. Things like: how to draw an arc using three points, recomendations for spans of different woods for bookshelves. Just little tips and ideas that I could put in a binder and have half a clue where to look for them. Another book for ideas of things I would like to make.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply to
ToolMiser

================================ While this is NOT something I wish I had done earlier IT IS something I really need to do.

Over the years I have accumulated quite a few "JIGS" and I really have to find a way to remember that I DO HAVE A JIG FOR THIS CUT and even more important I NEED to remember where the devil I "stuffed" that jig after I used it...

Just cleaned my shop last week after finishing my latest project and found 4 or 5 jigs that I had completely forgotten about and 1 or 2 of those I had to really think hard as to why I made them... and the real kicker is that I could have used some of those things a number of times in the last year or two IF I HAD REMEMBERED I had them...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Yes it does, I seldom put a screw into hard wood with out wax unless it is a pocket hole screw. Do not however make the mistake of using "soap" which is also commonly suggested.

Reply to
Leon

Michael Fortune does a LOT of jigs and some of his pieces require quite a few jigs. He labels each one with the project description/name, the step number in the process and any special notes on the use of the jig. For multiple jigs pieces he keeps them together - often boxed and labeled. Frequently used jigs are hung on the wall or from hooks in the ceiling. I imagine he's got a computer data base of his jigs as well.

I'd bet that most jigs could be put together with pocket hole screws or the like, disassembled, bound up with that stretchy plastic "tape" and stuck on a shelf when not in use.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

That's why I have an old PC networked to a DSL line in the shop.

I used to keep such a book, but Google has been much more useful.

BArry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Over the last few months I have put my jointer and bandsaw on mobile bases. What a difference it makes in making my shop more managable.

Another thing I did, just today, was to build jigs to hold pieces of the adirorondack chairs I seem to build so many of. It eliminates so much of the guesswork and chance involved in building them.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Dick Durbin

What's the problem with using soap?

Reply to
Lazarus Long

It absorbs moisture from the air, which promotes corrosion of steel screws.

Doug Miller

Lazarus Long asks:

It's hygroscopic. That is, it draws water to itself, which is not really handy in most woodworking situations as it helps speed corrosion of most fasteners.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Simple mitre box w/bench hook. Ten minutes to make - used a bajillion times.

Plane shelf - Screwd a furring strip to the leading edge of the shelf-of-planes, and then tacked a row of popsicle sticks right behind it. The plane's toes rest on on the line of popsicle sticks, which means not having to worry about the controversial practice/non-practice of laying a plane on its side.

*Ahem*... Got divorced? ;)

O'Deen

Reply to
Patrick Olguin

build this tail-vice for my workbench:

Chris Merrill

Reply to
Silvan

Which probably means...you'll only get 100 years out of the project without problems...instead of 150! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

The PRICE is sure right!

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Depends on the screws you use, I guess. I've seen soap on brass, which made the screws ooze green goo after a couple years. Not cool.

Reply to
Silvan

In addition to what you've assembled, you might consult:

Robert Scharff, Workshop Math

Jas Gerhart, Everyday Math for the Building Trades

Way more than I'll ever use in those two books....

Regards, H.

Reply to
Hylourgos

Stuff I wish I'd done earlier?

Two words: "started woodworking"

(C:

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 01:19:30 -0500, Silvan Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

i recently added a central DC, and strung 2 more circuits into my shop. . . .no more extension cords layin everywhere, and most of my dust goes away now without the aid of a broom and dustpan!

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Here's another one... I finally bought one of those band clamps with the ratcheting strap thing and the four corner pieces.

Why did it take so long? Wow, those things are *handy*!!

I s'pose one reason for my delay is that it took me this long to be able to cut miters that would actually fit together properly under such clamping, using the sled I had on my mind when I started this thread.

The frame for my chess board looks primo, if I do say so myself. Hey, it only took me 10 years to make a frame whose corners didn't need any doctoring. :)

Reply to
Silvan