Student Cabinetmaker/Finish Carpenter

I would like to hear about how some of you started and how your career evolved. I'd like to know about what jobs youve had and how much money you made.

Reply to
DarthDooku

Look out, guys, the IRS is after YOU!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Ok, i guess that sounded bad. I assure you im not the IRS, im just a curious student. I would like to hear about some peoples careers though. So if you want to help me understand whats out there, you could still tell me but not in such detail. Im curious to know what kind of money i can make and how i can get there.

Reply to
DarthDooku

"DarthDooku" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The consensus seems to be you can make a very nice living. If you call somewhere between $0 and $30K a year a nice living.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Darth:

(is that your REAL name, if so, sue G. Lucas),

anyways, suggest you might want to contact your local woodworker's guilds, clubs, etc. Also, I'd do some upfront work with prospective cabinetshops. Ask what the going rate is for entry, how many years experience.

I would approach this as if you asking for a favor but in complete recognition of their vast knowledge of the business. In other words, be polite and thank them for their time.

I always enjoy the role of mentor in my own field of computers.

Also, start subscribing to WorkShop News . It's a newspaper that's geared for the trade. Will often have stories about people starting out, or in business and how much they made/make.

I'd also approach a local trades school, if there is one. Or in my case there's a local Junior College (yeah, not a community college but an honest to goodness JC!) with a cabinet/furnituremaking course. I'd contact the teacher/professor.

Finally, I look for some government work. I believe there publications that they put out that tell you how much a given profession makes or could make. Try your local friendly library (perhaps the local college one, might have more of the "career guidance" books).

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjwallace