Stud Finder Technology

I always find my best info on these forums so can some of you who use the new technology in the digital stud finders give me your thoughts over how they work. Before I turn in my Zircon which is the older type where the green light walks up and down the scale and it beeps when to hit the edge of the stud and goes off when you reach the other side, and it doesn't always land me on anything solid. Are these newer ones any more accurate? I'm not in the constuction trade and would be using it for home projects so also don't want to break the bank. Any recommendations also on which to buy. Thanks a lot, Jerry
I don't know anything about any newer ones as I have one just like yours. Your accuracy with it would be much better if you find an edge then come at it from the other side to find the other edge.

jerglass wrote:

Here's Zircon's explanation of how stud sensors work:
http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/ScanAndSensor/HowItWorks.html
Here's a comparison of several Zircon stud sensors:
http://homerepair.about.com/cs/toppicks/tp/studsense.htm
Unfortunately, the most accurate one I've found to date is a finishing nail and hammer.
That said, I haven't bothered with any of the new ones. Perhaps the technology has improved to make them worthwhile. Cheers, cc

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 15:03:15 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
yeah, they replaced the little swinging magnet in em.. *flash back*

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I had one like yours and wish I still had it. But I dropped it. My newer and more expensive Zercon sucks.