Stuck collet and bit

I have a Ridgid hand-held router that I've been using with 1/2" bits. More than once, the collet has stuck and held the bit in place AFTER the nut has been loosened and removed.
My research shows a few solutions such as parafin wax, graphite, or just making sure the collet and recieving end are clean. Has anyone tried these solutions, and do they work?
I'll try cleaning the collet and recieving end next time I use the router.
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote:

SFWIW, have had the same problem with a PC690 and 1/4" shank bits.
My solution has been to place collet nut on vice and tap shank out using a 1/4" wood dowel and a hammer.
YMMV
Lew
I remember another router having this problem, although I don't know which one it was. The problem seemed to be a combination of poor internal machining of the collet and dirt accumulation.
I think the problem was resolved by cleaning the collet and polishing the inside fo the collet with a Dremel and a small bit.
Might be worth searching the group archives.
Robert

My problem is the bit and collet won't come out of the router. I might even be able to turn the router on with the nut off and use the router! (Not that I'd try it, however.)
Puckdropper

I'm not sure how the Ridgid router collet is designed, but other newer name brand routers have collets with snap rings on the end to keep the nut attached to the collet and they also serve to pull the collet out of the router when the nut is unscrewed. Is your snap ring missing? If one belongs there the end of the collet would have a groove in it for the snap ring.
Charley

The 1/4" collet is set up that way, and it seems to be a good system. However, the 1/2" is just the standard seperate nut, collet, and router. My Craftsman (B&D) router/shaper is the same way.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

Put the nut back on (if it's off) a bit less than finger tight and tap it with the wrench. Tap...tap...tap...the collet/bit will eventually loosen. To avoid the problem in the future, take the bit out as soon as you finish using it.
--

dadiOH

You might try: http://www.meyerplastics.com/adhesives_seal_tape/anti-seize_comp_sht.htm

Clean the fittings but I would steer clear of any type of lubricant or wax as those will continue to work when you do not want slippage.
I have an old Bosch that does that. I simply gently tap the side of the bit shank until it pops loose.

Those were my thoughts, too.
Puckdropper