Stuck Chuck

I have a Jacobs 633C 33 Taper chuck on my drill press which I inherited. I've noticed a significant wobble with all bits. I'm thinking I need to remount the chuck because the arbor seems to have no runout.

I found this great article:

that has helped tremendously. My chuck has a collar above it which I'm supposed to turn down to push off the chuck. I don't have a pin spanner so I used a strap wrench to turn the collar. At first it didn't turn at all but then it broke free and turned rather easily. I turned probably two or three revolutions before meeting resistance again which is when the collar began pushing the chuck. The instructions say that it should meet resistance at this point. I continued trying to turn it with no avail. "That's okay" I thought I'll just back the collar back up and put some oil in there to help. But now the collar won't turn in the other direction back up the arbor. I've saturated it in oil and WD40 with no luck. I've tried turning both ways so hard that I've also slightly deformed the chuck holes where the key fits!

Any suggestions? Would a spanner give me more leverage? What sort of stores carry them? Would an auto-parts store carry them? Home Depot and Lowes sure don't.

Reply to
Corbett

Get the spanner from A) Production Tool, B) J & L Industrial C) Kitts D) any other supplier of machine-shop tools you might have nearby.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for the suggestions on where to find the spanners. I ended up finding that Sears actually carries a good selection of spanners.

Unfortunately I'm still having trouble getting the collar to turn either way. I cannot figure out what would cause it to have seized up like this.

Reply to
Corbett