stubby screw tool

I am trying to repair my cabinets. Some of the drawers have old rollers that need replacing. The existing rollers have standard screw heads. I can't even imagine how the screws were driven in a space that is roughly 4" high. I barely had room for a standard stubby screw driver to remove them. I hope the guys were obviously smart enough to install the rollers before they put them together.
I am looking for a bit that will allow me to put a Phillips bit in a battery drill. I have found many right angle drills, but I think even these would not do the trick in a 4 inch space.
I have found a ratchet screwdriver that is of course is not battery driven but will work in this space. Any ideas how I can use battery power in a space only 4" high to drive Phillips screws.
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1156368262.858685.321610@ 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

might be easier to use a flex shaft to get into the tight space.
On 23 Aug 2006 14:24:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Is there more room on the opposite side? You might be able to drill a pilot hole from the other side. Little bit tricky to get the holes in the right spot though.
-Leuf
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

screwdriver bit in the socket, and ratchet away to your heart's content. No need for cordless drills.
--
Regards,

Bingo....but use Square drive screws. the do not cam out like a phillips which is particularly important in this case whe you can't get some force *behind* the axis of the screw.
-Steve
Doug Miller wrote:

power. Sears say they have an 45 degree adapter that would work. The guy on the phone says they make one but didn't have one so I didn't learn the proper name for it. I am getting too many incorrect hits to find one on the net.
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1156368262.858685.321610@ 75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

air ratchet.
Try a 1/4" rechargeable ratchet. I think B&D makes one. That and a 1/4" socket with a Phillips in it should only be about 2 1/2" or so long. Jim

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2210&cat=1,43411,43417&ap=2 I've got one from somewhere else and a Craftsman No. 4116 that no longer exists but has a permanently captive bit, #2 philips one side .25" slotted on the other, reversible. They still have them as Sears item #00904116000 Mfr. model #4116 Joe