stubby screw tool

I am trying to repair my cabinets. Some of the drawers have old rollers that need replacing. The existing rollers have standard screw heads. I can't even imagine how the screws were driven in a space that is roughly 4" high. I barely had room for a standard stubby screw driver to remove them. I hope the guys were obviously smart enough to install the rollers before they put them together.

I am looking for a bit that will allow me to put a Phillips bit in a battery drill. I have found many right angle drills, but I think even these would not do the trick in a 4 inch space.

I have found a ratchet screwdriver that is of course is not battery driven but will work in this space. Any ideas how I can use battery power in a space only 4" high to drive Phillips screws.

Reply to
kilowatt

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1156368262.858685.321610@

75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

The screws might have been drives before the top was put on. Today, it might be easier to use a flex shaft to get into the tight space.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Is there more room on the opposite side? You might be able to drill a pilot hole from the other side. Little bit tricky to get the holes in the right spot though.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Use a socket wrench instead. Put a 1/4" socket on a ratchet, and your Phillips screwdriver bit in the socket, and ratchet away to your heart's content. No need for cordless drills.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news:1156368262.858685.321610@

75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

air ratchet.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Reply to
Jim Northey

Something like this:

've got one from somewhere else and a Craftsman No. 4116 that no longer exists but has a permanently captive bit, #2 philips one side .25" slotted on the other, reversible. They still have them as Sears item #00904116000 Mfr. model #4116 Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Bingo....but use Square drive screws. the do not cam out like a phillips which is particularly important in this case whe you can't get some force

*behind* the axis of the screw.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S

This is a good suggestion. It will work in a pinch but no battery power. Sears say they have an 45 degree adapter that would work. The guy on the phone says they make one but didn't have one so I didn't learn the proper name for it. I am getting too many incorrect hits to find one on the net.

Reply to
kilowatt