Stripping a Coffee Table

Hi, I want to strip the varnish off a solid pine coffee table I've been given. I'm a bit of a novice and don't know whether to initially use a chemical stripper or electric (vibrating plate) sander. I know that once I've got the worse off I'll have to hand sand it with increasingly fine paper to get it smooth prior to retreating.

Depends how thick the varnish is and how nice the wood below is. I have even left things out in the rain for a few weeks to do the worst of the stripping by nature. Then, get a chemical or blow lamp on it if the paint/varnish is really thick. Otherwise, if a very fine coat, just sand it. Do not re-varnish it - looks crap. Instead buy some Danish Oil or similar and oil it. The finished effect will be much nicer. Remember that pine is a wood that goes DARKER with exposure to light, as opposed to most other wood going ligher.
HTH Rob
Huh? Name a wood that gets lighter with age instead of darker

SNIP
LP wrote:

Walnut. Typically light colored woods will darken, and when exposed to sunlight, dark colored woods will lighten.

Fading, no?
Use Ronstrip, 7 quid from B&Q

Thanks guys. When it's stripped I intend to use a wood dye on it to darken it down, then wax it. Sound okay?

Sounds fine
Chemical stripper then hand sanding with the grain, then use sanding sealer for final sanding followed by a few coats of good quality antique pine wax." Mouse