Striking Knife

I'm looking for a specific style of striking/marking knife. I found *exactly* what I want at Lee Valley[1], but for some reason "this product is not available for shipment to the U.S." I've looked through the online stores for a few other vendors like Lie-Nielsen, Highland Hardware, Garrett Wade, Woodcraft and Amazon, but came up with nothing. There's plenty of marking knives out there that seem to be good for just right hand use or just left hand use, but I need one like the type Lee Valley has that is good for left or right hand use.
Anyone have a link to an online store that sells this same style of striking/marking knife?
Thanks.
[1]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2531&cat=1,42936,42949&ap=1

remove ".invalid".

I wonder if that is because of the rosewood handle?

How about the CTW Marking Knife, second from the top here:
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/handtools.htm
--
FF

Sure - how about 4 online stores?
I don't know if they're similar enough for you to call one exactly the same, but maybe one of these would work: http://www.czeckedge.com/MarkingKnives.html Prices seem reasonable, and the guy who makes these is a well- respected member of the Woodnet forum.
thebestthings.com has a few high-end versions, including Blue Spruce and Chester Toolworks.
toolsforworkingwood.com has some by Ron Hock (presumably also available directly from Ron, who would probably customize one for your if you so desired), and also the Chester Toolworks models. TFWW also has a "real" store in NYC, but if that's not local for you, they have especially fast shipping.
Finally, there are also few types available at Japan Woodworker. One cheaper one: http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_idd%2E619%2E0&dept_id 220 and they sell a "Veritas striking knife" that doesn't exactly look like the one in your link, but maybe it's close enough: http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id '%2E050%2E601&dept_id220
Hope this helps, Andy (No affiliations with any of the above)

Just looking for that spear point, so that it can be used either right or left handed.

http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_idd%2E619%2E0&dept_id 220 This looks pretty good and I like the price.
Thanks.
And thanks to everyone else that replied.

remove ".invalid".

Michael, It looks like these folks sell and ship the very knife to the US: http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/J27.050.601.htm Kerry
Tue, Sep 4, 2007, 10:02pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@atww.org.invalid (MichaelFaurot) doth quary: <snip> Anyone have a link to an online store that sells this same styleof striking/marking knife? <snip>
Nope. But easy enough to make your own. I made a batch of knives/saws similar by slotting handles and gluing in sections of bandsaw blade. You can grind 'em to shape as desired.
On Sep 5, 4:25 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Mine is a recycled file, torch tempered yellow, ground to a single bevel spear point. No handle, so I can sight it along a ruler or square easier or use it to scribe one surface onto another by holding the knife flat against the first.
Michael Faurot wrote:

I have that exact knife, and I live in the US. It's a great tool, and super easy to keep sharp.
Have you called LV and asked why no US shipment? Maybe a Canadian 'wrecker can help?

Interesting. So LV used to sell/ship it to the US--but now they don't.

I like LV and I like their products, but if their web site won't sell it to me, I would rather put my time to use looking for another vendor that will sell me what I'm looking for.
Based on the tip from Andy, I just got a similar spear point marking knife from Japan Woodworker.

remove ".invalid".
Michael Faurot wrote:

I live 5min from an LV store. If you really want that one, email me and we can make arrangements.
Chris

Steve Knight...
<http://www.knight-toolworks.com/handtools.htm
http://improve-usenet.org /
I just purchased that knife from LV cat. last month. Wonder what has changed

I had the same problem and ended up buying a right hand single edge knife and then modifying it on the grinder to match the general design of Lee Valley's. It's been doing fine for me for about 10 years now.
Charley

You could do the same with a spare 3/4" chisel.
www.japanwoodworker.com
Repeat, satisfied customer. Usual disclaimer.
-Zz
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:02:42 -0500, "Michael Faurot"