Strength of Glue - Inquiry

Hello and greetings to the group. (My apology if this posts twice, I am having trouble with the server.)

I am embarking on a project and I have a question about glue. I believe I already know the answer, but wanted to confirm.

Is there any reason that two boards glued face-to-face with tradional yellow glue would not provide a strong enough and permanent bond for a vertical load bearing member of a bed?

I am using air dried walnut from central Indiana to build a bunk bed such as this one

plans specify using boards 1 and 1/16 thick but I can only get about

3/4" thick after I plane them. With that in mind, my intent is to glue two pieces together to yield a 1.5" board and then plane that down as needed.

Is this sufficient for a 20 to 50 year span and beyond? Should I consider any different adhesive?

For the horizontal rails, there are a few thicker boards available.

Thank you.

Reply to
Ryan

Yellow glue is fine. Easier to buy 6/4 or (maybe) 5/4 stock than to dress and glue up thinner pieces though.

Reply to
dadiOH

The laminated result would probably be stronger, or less resistant to bow then the solid board.

If your design can accomodate it, you might consider just gluing/screwing a short flange on the underside of the 3/4" board at each side creating a channel shape. Would cut down the weight and be just as resistant to compressive loads.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Reply to
parrotdad

Thank you all for the excellent replies.

Reply to
Ryan

Not if its done properly. But those face had better be pretty darn flat, and the clamping has to be adequate.

Reply to
Toller

Yes. It is common practice to glue up 1" thick boards for furniture legs. The glued-up legs are actually stronger and more stable than one from a solid piece. Make there are no gaps (without any pressure) between the glued up boards. If you can spare the time, allow an extra day for the glue to cure before working it.

Reply to
Phisherman