Straightening S2S boards on the Table Saw

I'll chime in here ifin you don't mind. I live in Houston and rust is pretty much a nonissue unless I am careless. Humidity on a dry day is 50% and 75-80% is the norm. Humidity is not a problem, it is when the humidity condenses on the tools surface that you have a problem I actually have more of a problem with sweat dripping on the tool surface. If your tool is cool and exposed to humid warm air you will have a problem. If you air condition the room and warm humid air is introduced you will have a problem. As long as the equipment remains the same temperature as the humid air around it you should not have a problems with condensation and rust. For those times where you might not have the perfect environment apply 3-4 heavy coats of TopCote initially to the cast iron surfaces and buff off. Follow up with and extra coat every 6 months or so.

Reply to
Leon

Certainly not. (sorry for not gettin back sooner - packing for the move and just finishing up at work here).

Careless? Like spill a drink, careless?

Yes, but in my basement (in Vermont) I could more easily control the environment with a dehumidifier. Heat was never a problem because the humidity in the Winter was shockingly low.

This stuff??

would have thought a wax, or perhaps a teflon based "wax" like the stuff used on boat bottoms.

Thanks. Now to figure out which saw. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yes that, or sweat on the iron and not wiping it off.

I think regardless of the humidity level, high or low, it will not be a problem unless the temperature of the surrounding air suddenly becomes warmer than the iron. Even with a dehumidifiier, if a glass of ice water sweats during temperature changes, so will the iron if it is colder than the surrounding air, and it takes very little moisture to start the rust. This can be more of a problem in an air conditioned shop for cooling purposes if it is suddenly exposed to an opened door letting in warm out side air.

coverage. Another product that does well are Empire products. They were the original makers of TopCote.

You want to be very careful with products that have non stick lubricants in them such as silicone and or possibly Teflon. If this products gets on your wood project and is undetected it can cause a lot of head aches with finishes. Remember, nothing sticks to Teflon, including your finish.

The hard part.

Reply to
Leon

Leon

Morris Dovey wrote in news:488f2abc$0$48218$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

Morris,

I love how you used pocket screws on an item that most of us consider shop furniture :) By the way, nice outfeed table! You have given me some great ideas on attaching my future one to the back of my unisaw.

As always, thanks for contributing.

Steve

Reply to
Hammer Hands

I need for someone to chime in here. I know I've seen a drop-leaf outfeed table on at least one one of the regulars' web sites - and I think Steve needs to take a look.

It's my way of trying to get even for all the help that I've received, and I'm still pretty far behind...

Reply to
Morris Dovey