Straight edges...

Hi,

I've been cutting particleboard planes with a circular saw. Despite I did it helped with a straight guide the edges are not straight enought to my taste. So I've been trying to straight them by using a rasp and sanding. I'd like to hear some advice on techniques on straightening edges, both by hand tools and power tools. Is the router the cheapest solution to my headaches? I'll need a router table?

Thanks in advance

Faustino Dina

-------------------------------------------------------- If my email address starts with two 'f' drop the first 'f' when mailing me.

Reply to
Faustino Dina

You COULD use a router without investing in a router table by using a known straight edge to guide a straight bit with bearing. However, if you discuss this in the presence of your SWMBO, tell her you MUST have a router table if she expects you to build her some nice projects! :)

You carbide bits to prevent dulling of the cutting edge when routing or jointing ply and pb. That stuff is hard on HSS.

dave

Faust> Hi,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I clamp a straight edge board on the sheet. Use this as a guide. If this till is not to your liking. I would clamp the piece on the underside with

1/8" overhang. Then use a straight bit with a bearing to trim the excess.
Reply to
PPH

Here is a link for making a good straight edge for your circ saw.

Erik Ahrens

Also, chech out Tru-Grip clamps. Amazon and others stock these.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

Reply to
Pat Barber

I've been trying such a guide. I think the best is a guide that holds the circ saw from both sides. Some weeks ago I see such a guide, I think it somebody was advertising he bought it in Amazon, but I lost the link and I've been searching in Amazon and can't find nothing. Does anybody knows what I'm talking about? It was some kind of rail you can clamp to the panel, and it has a mechanism for attaching the circ saw. After that the saw runs freely over the rail without any chances for loosing the straight line.

Reply to
Faustino Dina