Stow,Ohio

The boys in the shop class in Stow,Ohio are making crutches for the children in Haiti. This gives me hope after seeing on the news about all these kids getting killed in these gang wars. When I was in school if we took a knife to school we were big shit, now all these kids are packing guns. Or is it just in Cleveland,Ohio ????

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Robatoy

physical education. Back when I was in school (1960-65) I was digging behind my pickup's seat when the principal and vice principal were walking by. The principal looked in and said, "Wow, is that a Fox 20?" I said, "Yes, Dad gave it to me back when I was 9 years old. It was used and someone had cut it down for a small kid." The Vice Principal asked me if I wanted to sell it, now that I'd outgrown the stock, and we agreed on a price.

Yup, that's what it's like growing up in a farming community in the Midwest.

Reply to
Nonny

I don't think anyone from Ohio would ever associate Stow with Cleveland in any way. Akron, maybe, but never Cleveland.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I live near Cleveland and don't read much about students with guns. No more than any other urban area I suspect.

Reply to
DT

Nah - I went to HS in Indiana, and during the second week of school was /issued/ a 30-06 rifle to keep in my room.

The anti-gun folks would probably be horrified to know that my classmates and I also trained with BAR's, .30 cal machine guns, and

105's. :)
Reply to
Morris Dovey

-------------------------------------------- Compared to parts of Los Angeles, Stow is still a sleepy village.

Is the smorgasbord still in business?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And that school would have been...?

Years ago, when I went to high school in Indiana, we shot .22 rifles as part of our phys ed program (indoor, steel traps). The university had a skeet range just over the hill, and for the guys who had their own shotguns, it was open to students as well. I don't think it ever ocurred to anyone that these guns _could_ be used anywhere other than intended.

Ain't like that in the high school where my wife teaches today... One young "man" told her recently that he didn't need to know English. He would "make more money than [you'll] ever have, because [he} was dealing drugs." She told him his life would be short.

This is an extreme instance and doesn't speak directly to the gun issue, but it's symptomatic. Our parents expected a certain mode of behavior from us (or at least not to embarrass them TOO terribly), and they did not hold others accountable for our deeds.

That's largely changed today -- if the kid acts up in school, it's probably the fault of the teachers and administrators.

As the sarge used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there."

Reply to
Steve

A military boarding school with a Junior ROTC program in Culver.

I think that's an important part of the story - and another is that /everyone/ found it appropriate to hold kids immediately accountable for their deeds.

I don't believe it's their fault, but a lot has been done to make it difficult for them to deal with the problems that do arise.

I had a very different experience in that, generally, problems were dealt with by the students themselves with faculty oversight, and disciplinary actions ranged from short-term loss of some privilege (most common) to dismissal from the school (for a rare "honor" violation). I think it worked as well as it did/does because the students insisted there be /no/ daylight between "the way things should be" and "the way things are" - and absolutely everything one might do was subject to peer review. It took some years for me to recognize the courage that demanded of both teachers and administrators.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

The population body from which that school was drawn does not reflect anything close to what is the typical public HS student body these days, particularly in larger metro areas. I suspect given the inner city school population of today the model wouldn't work so well...

--

Reply to
dpb

"That's a joke, son!"

Or it would be, if there weren't parents who take that stand. And, of course, you are right -- teachers and admins have been hamstrung by the threat of litigation. The ONLY winners in a legal fight are the lawyers.

BTW, I had an idea your answer to the school question might be Culver.

Reply to
Steve

It's quite a place - beautiful at the superficial level and much, much more than beautiful beneath the surface. It's not too far from Indy for a sightseeing drive (consider yourself invited), and if you call ahead you can probably have a guide to tell you about what you're seeing. For an adventure, ask to meet and talk to some of the students about the school. :)

If/when/as you see at the place, it's worthwhile to keep in mind that the school is sustained by its former students rather than by their parents...

Reply to
Morris Dovey