Storing Poly in Plastic

I bought a gallon of Spar Urethane for a project, but it's got a small ding in the lip. I'm concerned that it will not seal properly by the time I finish banging the lid back a few times.

Can I safely store the remained in plastic, an opaque Minute Maid Orange Jucie container?

Reply to
Bill Stock

I suggest you contact the manufacturer, they all have support people that get these kinds of questions frequently. They probably even have email so can save the cost of a long-distance call.

HTH

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

The best bet may be to go to the local HD or Lowe's and buy a new gallon paint can. IIRC they are about 99 cents. That said, many varnishes come in plastic cans with metal lids.

Reply to
Leon

There are many kinds of plastic; some block air and some don't. Since orange juice has a short shelf life, they probably don't use the same kind of plastic necessary for varnish.

Reply to
toller

Bill, An 'adjunct' to Leon's recommendation . . .

Typically, I buy my varnish a quart at a time, so that it stays 'fresh'. It is not the 'long oil' Spar, but 'short oil' with UV inhibitors}. When it occasionally goes on sale, I usually pick up a quart and add it to my 'stash'. It is the reaction with oxygen that causes problems, so I store the cans upside-down.

One of the techniques to using varnish is to 'decant' the amount for the project at hand into a 'working' container. Thus the 'supply' doesn't get contaminated. With this being said, it is almost a given that, with various times/amounts of 'skin over' being strained off & thrown away, about 1/4 of the supply will wind up as 'mush' in the bottom of the supply container.

One way to prevent this is to IMMEDIATELY 'decant' the large supply into smaller containers, and fill them almost to the top - so there is minimal air space. When I get a GOOD DEAL on a gallon of very expensive anti-fouling paint, I immediately go to my local paint store {or HD} and get 4 empty quart cans. Even if I don't intend to use the paint for some time. Everything is stored together. This has been very successful for a lot of years.

Although I typically use up my varnish on a 'per job' basis, I have several empty pint, half-pint, and smaller glass jars on the shelf. Just for laughs, I put the remainder from a small job - about 2 to 3 ounces - in an 8 ounce 'relish jar'. I put a couple of pieces of plastic sheeting over the top, puffed a bit of my de-oxygenated breath under it, and twisted on the lid. I think that was 3 or 4 years ago - and it still is liquid, with no 'skin'. !!

Regards & Good Luck, R> The best bet may be to go to the local HD or Lowe's and buy a new gallon > paint can.

SNIP

SNIP

Reply to
Ron Magen

anti-fouling

Thanks for the detailed reply Ron. I've done the paint in a jug/bottle with Saran wrap trick. But I wasn't too sure about the Spar, with the wicked stink that stuff has. Gave myself a slight buzz before I went for the mask.

Turns out a quart would have been more than enough too. I just didn't want to pay $20 a quart when a gallon was $40 CDN. I'll pick up some empties at HD.

Reply to
Bill Stock

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:52:40 GMT, "Bill Stock" calmly ranted:

I though the same thing back in the late 80's when I bought a gallon of carpenter's glue. 2 years later, the plastic jug was sucked in where the solvent/moisture had evaporated/migraged out) and the remaining 3/4 of the jug was useless.

Lesson learned: Look at the shelf life as well as your usage when determining quantity to purchase. A higher initial price can sometimes be the better option.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You mean it doesn't always pay to be a cheap bastard! :)

On the bright side, MixWax said it should be OK to transfer to my OJ container (HDPE), as long as I cleaned the contents out first.

Reply to
Bill Stock

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:41 GMT, "Bill Stock" calmly ranted:

Thash what I sled, diddle I?

Yeah, out of the minwax container.

Reply to
Larry Jaques