Storing Clamps

Page 1 of 2
I got lucky during the clamp fiasco at Woodcraft and proudly display my collection in my workshop. I have a 2x4 nailed horizontally to the framing in my garage which works perfectly for this. One question that troubles me though. When storing them, I clamp them down so as not to fall off. I tighten them enough to hold without slipping off and so the kids couldn't pull them off.
But the question is should they be stored not clamped down? I want to make sure I'm not going to harm them by storing them under pressure so to speak.
Many thanks in anticipation of an answer!
Mike Rinken
Good clamps are much stronger than the 2x4 you have them snugged up on and will not be hurt by the slight expansion a 2x4 will have. In the future you might want to build a rack with slots that the clamps can slip into and put a lip in the front of it so that the clamps cannot fall out. This makes it much easier to get them and put them away while still preventing them from falling on anyone

"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message

I store my bar clamps between the floor joists in the ceiling of my basement shop. A screwed some pieces of 1x3 between various joists and just slip the clamps on top of those.
It's not as convenient to get them out and put them away as some of the fancy clamp storage furniture I've seen, but I can't afford to give away any floor space so I get creative with storage.

it would be very inconvenient in my shop. the ceiling is 12 feet up....     Bridger

Was that supposed to be some kind of gloat?
My basement ceiling is kind of low (about 7' 8" to the subfloor, maybe 7' even to the bottom of the joists). What I wouldn't give for another 6 inches of headroom.

yeah I guess so....

just dig the floor down another 6 inches ; ^ )     Bridger
Creamy Goodness asks:

I don't know what the official line is, but I store most clamps lightly close, some more tightly (heavier handled clamps fall off more easily). Spring clamps are stored clamped to a board, as the only other way I know of is to toss the lot in a bucket and have a blast sorting out one when it's needed. If the studs are open in your shop, you might nail a board across part way up and stick the bar clamps (including pipe clamps) behind that.
One fast note: what are the kids doing in your shop if they're young enough to be yanking on things they should yank on?
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

framing
me
make
speak.
close,
clamps
the
studs
the
enough to

themselves."
Well the garage is used by all, so I have to "store" things in convenient locations. I have doors with locks on the cabinets so they can't get at my tools (except the stuff on the peg board) and all of the main tools like the Table saw and Band Saw have moving bases that lock down so they can't roll away without someone loosening things. I've tried to make it as safe as possible for the kids and we've never had an accident. I involve them in smaller projects so they learn about tools, safety using the tool, and the dangers of scary sharp things. They do a great job policing their friends around the TS and BS.
I worry quite a bit about it too, that's why they're tightened down so they can't be yanked off. Those things are heavy!!!!
Mike Rinken
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:13:51 -0700, "Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote:
my preference would be to store them with the jaws open to somewhere in the range of use. running the jaws in and out is a waste of time and wear on the clutch plates.
clamp storage is still evolving in my shop....     Bridger
Creamy Goodness responds:

Makes sense to me. I'm way past the stage where I have to worry about underage trespassers in my shop, but the thought of a 3' or 4' K body clunking Junior on the noggin isn't a pleasant one.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker

underage
Junior on

themselves."
Exactly. Those 4 footers are scary heavy. Actually thought about keeping one in my bedroom in case of unwanted "visitors" in the middle of the night. But I've got 2 fur covered razor blades for that.
Thanks! (BTW - Impressive resume. I've lurked in this group for about 7 years now and I'm always impressed by the people here. Well most of them anyways.)
On 13 Jan 2004 18:48:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, go ahead and protect them right out of existence, guys. The first bad thing that happens to them in -real- life may kill them if they're not prepared for the unexpected. Besides, remember back when we wore scars as signs of life experience?
To each their own.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Larry Jaques responds:

Huh? I'm not exactly sure how keeping a 5 or 6 year old from yanking a clamp down on his head is protecting him out of existence. Care to explain?
I've always kept kids out of my shop, or been right with them and watching, but that's not possible for all people in all shops, and no matter how a person's good medical insurance is, cracking the skull on a kindergartner is not sensible practice, IMO.
And, yeah, I know they should be taught to leave things alone. I was and I've got the scars to prove it doesn't work all the time.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
On 14 Jan 2004 08:36:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Agreed, kids don't belong in a shop, but when they're there, they will learn what not to pull down on top of themselves. The vast majority will survive the knocks and bruises of growing up. Those whose parents have removed all dangers from their lives will die at the first sign of trouble when the parents aren't watching or after they've flown the coop. Darwin has his ways, y'know. He and the Reaper are buddies. If our parents had kept all danger away from us, would we have learned how to avoid it now?

Hey, smart kids quickly learn how to duck. I still say:
    Spare the Bessey, spoil the child.(tmLJ)

See? We're still proud of 'em and we're smarter for it. ;)
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================

clamp
I've always encouraged them to come into the shop and ask questions. Education is the best weapon against injury but they'll still be kids and will hurt them selves. My original post wasn't about trying to keep the kids safe, I can do my best at that. I wanted to know if keeping clamps stored in a tightened position would hurt them over time.
Creamy Goodness wrote:

Yes, as the kids heads get larger the pressure from the clamp will start to hurt them.
--
Froz ...

'Creamy', Education AND constant observation/vigilance until they are 'of an age to appreciate' {varies from individual}. A skinned knuckle is a 'learning experience', 'dismemberment' is another story.
Back to the question . . . as a matter of principle I never store anything 'tightened down' - not my Vise-Grips, Clamps, or handgun hammers.
My 'Woodworker's Clamps' are turned to just touch & aligned, then stored in a large,clear, plastic box under the 'big bench'. The 'sliding clamps' to 18in are also in that box. Some of the 4 inch ones go in the 'bucket seat' along with some large plastic 'squeeze clamps'. The 48 inch 'sliding clamps, and the 50in 'Grip Clamp' hang on a large 'utility' hook screwed into a joist at the rear of the shop. My 'C' clamps are 'self aligning' and stored on the 'clothes pole' of a closet beside my downstairs 'small bench'. They are opened to somewhat smaller than the diameter of the pole. My 50in 'flat' clamps, more 48in sliding clamps, and the 111inch rolls of background paper are 'slung' on a couple of inverted "T" holders I fabricated from PVC pipe attached to the basement joists. The 60in 'Pipe Clamps' just lean against the right-angle juncture between two shelf units.
Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {You can NEVER have 'too many' clamps !!}
"Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> wrote in message

SNIP
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:52:20 -0700, "Creamy Goodness" <creamy at agbf1942 dot com> brought forth from the murky depths:

Right, education followed by bandaids is the best teaching system.

Probably not, but why chance it? I'm going to be building a rolling clamp tree RSN. I have one cabinet half made and need to get tools off the shelves, out of boxes, and into a usable system. The side-of-the-rolling-assembly-cart storage I created ain't woikin'. A tree they could pull down onto themselves and do real damage, but a single clamp would be easy enough to semi- escape for a quick little kid. Damn, remember when WE had reflexes like that? <sigh>
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment http://www.diversify.com Website Applications =================================================

Dad? Dad? Izzthat you???

underage
Junior on

I wish my daughter was still interested in hanging out in the shop with me. When she was 1-1/2 to about 8 years old she was in the shop with me all the time. give her a few sticks of scrap, a hammer and a box of nails and she was busy making things for hours! She really wants a computer desk and a book shelf. I have hinted that she could help me build them and I get this "look" that only a teen ager can give!
One time when she was two years old she wandered into the shop. I had an old furance blower running, melting ice of the car. Of course the blower had an exposed drive belt. She looked it over, and seemed pretty mesmerized by it. So before she went any farther I dropped an old shop rag into the belt. The rag spun around one pulley a few times, then a few trips around the other, before it escaped and flew into the air. It could not have come out better. As she was standing there with wide eyes over the specticle. I asked her what would happen if that rag was her finger! Her eyes got bigger yet and she thrust her hands into her pockets and took a step back from the blower! Never had to worry about fingers getting where they did not belong! Greg