Stored Wood

It's my sisters birthday, so I turned a few things for her. The surprize was remembering all the maple rounds I had stored in one of the sheds fo future use. Turns out it's developed some nice spalting.
http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/user/H20Slider/media/Shop/2013-01-08_17-26-30_43_zps8086ff31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Mike M
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:42:51 PM UTC-6, Mike M wrote:

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/user/H20Slider/media/Shop/2013-01-08_17-26-30_43_zps8086ff31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
OH My yes! Those are beautiful and the spalting in the bowl is spectacular.
RonB

Thanks I was real pleased with the look and that I got most of the tree stored with the ends coated.
On 1/15/2013 1:42 PM, Mike M wrote:

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/user/H20Slider/media/Shop/2013-01-08_17-26-30_43_zps8086ff31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
WOW! That bowl is beautiful! Oddly I have some spalted oak that looks very very close to that in color.
And surrounded with maple.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8383686713/in/photostream

And the nice part is I have the better part of the tree. I might have build the resaw jig so I can cut some boards out of the rounds. The spalted oak looks real good in the middle of the doors.
On 1/15/2013 1:42 PM, Mike M wrote:

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/user/H20Slider/media/Shop/2013-01-08_17-26-30_43_zps8086ff31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Damn, that's purty! That bowl makes me want to go buy lathe.
So, is that your shop?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

That is the shop, though I did get paint on everything this fall so it looks pretty good. There's another addition on the other side though not as large.
On 1/15/2013 4:08 PM, Mike M wrote:

Impressive ... and I'm envious. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:25:04 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

I learned the hard way to wear a face shield if it can come off. Didn't properly chuck something and gave myself a black eye.
I taught our son to turn - he was turning by himself and after a number of nice items - one afternoon while I was at work he stabbed a block a bit aggressively and a half flung off and hit him in the face shield hood area. Just above the clear plastic. Snapped a nice silver dollar size half moon. - He hasn't turned since. That has been 12 years of so. Such is life. - He knows how to do a number of projects and maybe someday he will try again.
Martin
On 1/15/2013 4:10 PM, Mike M wrote:

I have said this a few times lately, the new carbide tipped turning tools have a near zero learning curve. I have 3 and replaced all of my 15 or so other traditional turning tools.

I have one, but I haven't used it much, maybe I'll give it another try. I've found that as I've got better at sharpening, specificaly the finger ground gouges and learned to use the bevel more I do pretty well. On the outside once the shape is roughed out I prefer to use a skew chisel the most.
Mike M
Love it. Is there a base or foot on the bowl? What finish?
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx

There is a slight concave on 1/2 the base. I'm able to chuck it up on a Oneway face set up for grabbing bowls so I turn the base last. If you look close at the far side you can see the start of a crack in the edge so it won't be holding liquids so I didn't worry about food safe. I used Watco natural danish oil and a few coats of a satin gel poly.
Mike M wrote:

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/user/H20Slider/media/Shop/2013-01-08_17-26-30_43_zps8086ff31.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Is the pointy-thing in the first picture a cake decorator?

Wine Stopper