Storage solutions?

Page 2 of 3
I have a 20 lbs jar of cosmoline that I want to sell.

20 lbs? Thirty year supply?

Depending on how many toys you want to protect...

It was sugested to google "cosmolene", by Lew Hodgett. That's what I did. Perhaps your argument should be with him.
The cosmolene I am familiar with, came in blocks that you melted before use. I can't seem to find anyting remotely like that despite your rude protestations.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

One of the links I posted references it if you'd look some... :(

If you were sincere, rather than trolling and trying to start an argument, you would simply provide a link.
I have found a few links for products named cosmoline, but they were no longer in production.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

You didn't say what you wanted, specifically (and can't imagine why one would want the old form anyway).
I previously posted two, at least one of which has onsite links to alternate formulations including the solid.
It didn't take long, but I'm not doing it again for you, sorry.

Troll admission noted.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Look, ahole, there's a direct link on the front page to the solid wax form from one of the two links I previously posted. If you can't do that much effort on your own instead of bitching, I'm damned if I'm going to do it for you...
plonk...

Gee. Thanks for your wonderful contribution to an otherwise okay thread.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

Well, gee, let's recap...
I provided you two links to what you were looking for, at least one of those has another link boldly shown on the page to another item you only belatedly indicated you were interested in...
Doesn't seem like my contributions were particularly shabby at all to me...

snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Try cosmoline with an "I".
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks, I've tried both and both get a ton of hits. I guess it depends on whether you feel its a derivative of gasoLINE, or keroSENE.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If you spell it properly you'll find numerous sources. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cosmoline&aq=f&oq
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I still haven't found the familiar bricks of old, regardless of spelling. Both spellings get a huge number of hits. As I thought initially, it appears to be a thing of the past.

Got many hits, wouldn't use the stuff on a bet, so didn't pursue it.
Lew
Swingman wrote:

I don't have any firsthand experience with long-term storage, but coming from a physics background it seems apparent that anything that works by emitting rust-preventing vapour or absorbing humidity would work best in airtight containers.
One relatively cheap source of silica gel crystals is certain kinds of cat litter. We use it for our cat. I'm still looking for a cheap industrial source, but even at retail prices it's a whole lot cheaper than buying "flower drying crystals" or "Silica Gel Dehumidifiers".
Also, Boeshield T-9 got top marks in Wood magazine's rust-prevention test. (Available on their website at http://www.boeshieldcanada.com/wood.pdf )
If you sprayed the tools down with a thickish coat and just let it set without wiping, it would probably help.
Chris
My favorite is LPS-3, hands down for storage in a damp non-heated shed over many years.
Pete Stanaitis
Swingman wrote:

Swingman wrote:

The humidity at my house is usually around 20-25%. Just send them to me and I will take care of your problem. :-)     hopefully yours,     jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote

LOL ... yabbut, what about heat from the CA fires? Frying pan into the fire, eh? ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08