Storage shed questions

at the moment. So there's a good chance that we'll have to move in a year.

For now, a small 4x8 shed

I had a similar situation when I lived at the trailer park. I needed a substantial shed for secure storage. I built a nice sturdy full-height shed, 10x10 at the base and 12x12 at the eaves. I never gave a thought as to what I would do when I moved. Well, when I did get ready to move, I was able to hire someone to move it for me. I just looked in the phone book under house movers. I was able to hire a guy to move my big shed 250 miles to my new location, no problem. For someone who is used to moving houses, a shed is a non-event.

So if 4x8 is big enough for you then you should be able to buy or build anything you want. You could even look for a mover in advance. I think you should build or buy an extra sturdy shed that will stand up to being towed at highway speed. I lost a few shingles on mine but was otherwise was very happy and surprised at how easy it was to have a rather large shed moved.

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

Ack! My bikes are only outside when I'm on them! Dunno about brianlannings, but, well, ACK!

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

In my area, if you have a shed on skids . . . any tilt-back wrecker company will move it for you at the same rate as towing a car . . . One guy here says he would rather move an eight by ten shed than a full size pick-up . . . Basically a dollar a mile . . . . I would line up a wrecker/mover and build with the intent for it to fit on a tilt-back wrecker . . . this way you are not limited to one hauler down the road . . . . My brother builds large iron gates and has them moved this way . . . . he has a large wooden skid, builds the gate on it, then calls the wrecker . . . cheaper than a trucking company & most of these guys are independents and price is very negotiable . . .

Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars

The weather here is brutal in the winter. I doubt the bikes would last a year outside. Besides, the association police would start sending me nastygrams.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I gues then I would think of the shed as more a "bike garage" with room for storing other things rather than a shed in which bikes can be put. If all the bikes have a real place where they belong and it's easier to get them in it than find a place in the garage to leave em then you've at least got a chance of them ending up there at the end of the day. Otherwise it's just going to be space that gets filled up and you'll be right back where you are now.

God help you when they start driving :)

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

The oldest one gets a learner's permit next year. We've already joked about paving the front yard to turn it into a parking lot.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Yes indeed. But it has its drawbacks too. That 'quick-glue-up-so-it-can

-dry-overnight' can run into hours. For years I worked on premises then built out in the country, some 25 km away (that's 15.5 miles for you metrically impaired readers) I did that drive for 13 years and liked closing the door and leaving it behind. Now the cycle seems to be starting all over again. In Sept '06, my non-competition agreement expires and, man, I need to move..I'm getting claustro here.. I actually manage to bump into myself on a regular basis.

To build a 2.5 car garage on my property would do the job, but then I'm still taking a chance with the zoning folks. My current garage/shop is one a property two doors down, which is zoned farm/light industrial, but there I can't expand as the 'coverage' of the property would need a variance...and the odds are not good around here.

Onward

Robatoy