Storage of hardware - Pt II

Short version: I found the containers now I need a database of faster information.
Long Version: Following on from the previous thread of 03 Apr, I have found what I want to store my hardware in (yeah, ok, very funny...).
SWMBO took to the task and came up with some plastic tupperware style containers that come in three sizes with lids. They are transparent and about US50c a pack. I am very happy with them, but now I need to label them.
Since I am setting this up and going to be labelling *quite a few* containers I thought I'd print the labels. Did I mention that it is SWMBO's birthday next week and I think it is time I bought her that Dymo Labelwriter that she has been wanting for so long? But I digress...
Rather than type all the information in, I have been searching for a downloadable spreadsheet, database, txt file or anything that has the necessary information and hopefully a little graphic as well. After a few hundred web pages and giggle searches I am beginning to wonder if it is out there, but I am sure I am not looking in the right spot.
My searches have been on "hardware", "fasteners", "nuts and bolts" etc.
The *perfect* dB would have a small pic, standard naming style and size detail. Does this exist? Can anyone help please?
TIA,
Greg
Hi Greg,
You might try the Screwfix website - it has all the information that you'd need, plus the little pictures. Three downsides:
1. It will be something of a chore cutting and pasting the info.
2. The catalogue tends to use the correct terminology, rather than AmerEnglish :)
3. It uses metric, rather than proper imperial, dimensions.
Here's an example:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId 0004&ts457
However, I would imagine that there are similar catalogues for US-based companies: these would probably be more appropriate for your application, if you can tolerate the terminological gaucheries, grammatical solecisms and appalling spelling.
HTH,
Frank
<GDR, donning flamepoof poo-suit>

them.
SWMBO's
Labelwriter
out
Well Frank, since I am in Australia, this site probably makes more sense than you thought it would. It has what I need, though, as you say, it will be slow pickings. Metric is not a problem, 96% of the world's population uses metric.
I still hope someone can link an entire database of some kind, however, this will get me started.
thankee sire,
--
Greg

"Frank McVey" wrote in message ...

Glad to hear it, mate. The US prices had me fooled...
Cheers,
Frank
Just curious - what kind of containers are you using??

them.
SWMBO's
Labelwriter
out
G'day Rob,
the containers are a clear tupperware style, semi flexible, non breakable plastic. They are from Vietnam:
http://www.daidongtien.com.vn/Hompage_files/Sanphammain2.htm #
The top 3 containers shown in the Snack food picture (S/5) also come in a nest of 3 for US50c a pack. I shamelessly stole the idea from Keeter Bohn-San (not to be confused with Bohn-sai), who is using similar but demi-opaque containers. I am currently undergoing a major project involving sorting and cataloguing all my known and lost caches of hardware. Judging by the various containers, racks, jars, boxes, bags, cans, packs, cartons and tins of various descriptions - this will be my magnum opus.
--
Greg
(PS. If my worktable collapses at the moment I may just set fire to the shop

My guess that it won't take even a month to get tired of removing/replacing all those lids each time. You'll start leaving them off and they'll start filling with dust.
Groggy asked... <Short version:> <I found the containers now I need a> <database of faster information.> This might be of some help
http://www.bitsnbores.com/html/screw_sizes.html (The other)Mike G.
There are CDs with all the specs on industrial hardware for CAD engineering aids available from mil. spec. manufactures. Otherwise a McMasters/Carr catalog should have all of what you are seeking, You can scan, size and cut then print what you want to use. Check with some local heavy manufacture or your utility company field office, They usually have an old outdated one that they will loan or give you. A Graingers catalog might suffice also. The M/C has a million or so items from soup to nutz featuring a Gadzillion different manufactures.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

I have seen autocad drawings full of blocks of fasteners. these could probably be used in such a database.