Stool/Short TV-type tray combo?

Our family (me, wife, 3 boys - ages 6, 8, and 10 - 6 and 8 year olds are big for their age) like to watch a movie and eat homemade pizza on Friday nights. The boys sit on the floor.
What I'd like to do is come up with a plan that incorporates the strength of a step-stool with the stowability of a folding tv-tray. The top should be large enough to hold a large plate of food and a beverage with reasonable expectation of security. If the unit could fold and slide under the couch, that would be great, but I could go for a stacking design as well. The top should be around 14 to 16 inches from the floor, but that is just a guess.
Ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
JLarsson
JLarsson (in snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| Our family (me, wife, 3 boys - ages 6, 8, and 10 - 6 and 8 year olds | are big for their age) like to watch a movie and eat homemade pizza | on Friday nights. The boys sit on the floor. | | What I'd like to do is come up with a plan that incorporates the | strength of a step-stool with the stowability of a folding tv-tray. | The top should be large enough to hold a large plate of food and a | beverage with reasonable expectation of security. If the unit could | fold and slide under the couch, that would be great, but I could go | for a stacking design as well. The top should be around 14 to 16 | inches from the floor, but that is just a guess. | | Ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I have an idea for a folding TV tray that could be made to whatever dimensions you'd like; but it wouldn'd be as rugged as a step stool. If you can't find something you like in a web search, e-mail me directly - I can e-mail back a sketch.