Stoke Sander question

To anyone who has a stroke sander, can you feed stock( 12' long) from the side and onto the bed for sanding then push it out the other side? Reason, I have lots of 8by8s that need to be sanded and the planer style sanders only have a 4" depth. Are 8" stroke sanders common or are there any 'homemade' plans available. Thanks for any feedback

Reply to
j.b. miller

I have a 4x8 Johannsen that would sand in an 8-9 feet (6"wide belt) section at a time. However, the end throat clearance is only 6". I guess you could go through at an angle. Would be a lot of weight on the bed. What might work easier is something like an old Performax 18" drum sander that attaches to a radial arm saw column. That should give you the ability to do your stock easily. Should be easier to find and a LOT cheaper to obtain. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Ron Now that's a GREAT idea...wished I hadn't tossed out the fancy electronic RAS I had.....but it's got me thinking 'outside the box' !!!

Reply to
j.b. miller