Stoke Sander question

To anyone who has a stroke sander, can you feed stock( 12' long) from the side and onto the bed for sanding then push it out the other side? Reason, I have lots of 8by8s that need to be sanded and the planer style sanders only have a 4" depth. Are 8" stroke sanders common or are there any 'homemade' plans available. Thanks for any feedback
--
Jay Miller
Temtronic Designs Inc.

Ron Now that's a GREAT idea...wished I hadn't tossed out the fancy electronic RAS I had.....but it's got me thinking 'outside the box' !!!